The Internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom has stepped down from his role as Director of the new file sharing service he launched called Mega to concentrate on other projects. He will be replaced by Hong Kong-based Bonnie Lam, according to filings to the Companies Office. Tony Lentino and Mathias Ortmann are still on Mega’s board.
Mega, a file-storage service, was launched on January 20, 2013, about a year after the Dotcom mansion was raided. It was established as a replacement for Megaupload, a file-locker which was taken down by U.S. authorities. Mega service currently accounts for over four million users, a few thousand of which are paid customers.
Flamboyant internet entrepreneur Kim Dotcom is reportedly working on an as-yet unnamed music service said to be launching in the coming months. The music platform was previously known as Megabox. Dotcom has 22 developers working on his new music service at this time. Dotcom will also be spending time fighting extradition orders and to pursue political aspirations.
In an emailed statement, Mega chief executive Vikram Kumar told the publication that Dotcom — otherwise known as Kim Schmitz — resigned “to be able to focus on the extradition case, an upcoming music website, and to build a political party.”
He has also apparently written a draft program for a new political party that he hopes to participate in elections in New Zealand next year.
Cloud storage pioneer Kim Dotcom confirmed on Twitter:
Latest posts by Bettina Padurano (see all)
- The Hottest CEO In The Business World: Sexiest Chief Executives - December 5, 2013
- Basis Science, Startup Behind The Basis Health-Tracking Wristwatch, Raises An Additional $11.75M - October 8, 2013
- Kim Dotcom Has Stepped Down As Director Of Mega File-Storage Startup - September 4, 2013