Sri Lanka was once described as one of the most scenic islands by the avid traveler Marco Polo, and even today, it sure keeps its reputation intact. This island country has a history spanning for over thousands of years and deep roots in Indian religion and mythologies. Aside from cultural relevance, its geographical location is ideal, which made it and still makes it ideal for maritime navigation.
There are so many things you can learn about Sri Lanka. Its political, social, cultural and economic importance in the world is without a doubt imperative, and you should certainly consider experiencing it first-hand by coming here.
Sri Lanka will be one of the most beautiful island nations you would visit in case you so decide. I have, as a matter of fact, made it much easier for you to pick great places to visit here. In this article, I will enumerate 5 amazing places in Sri Lanka which you must visit. So here we go!
- Sigiriya: Sigiriya is an ancient rock fortress which is situated in the Dambulla town of the Central Province. Also known as Lion’s Rock, it has been designated as the UNESCO World Heritage Site. It was once the capital as well as the royal palace of King Kasyapa and in the aftermath of his death, the fortress started being used as a Buddhist monastery.
Sigiriya is an impressive achievement in the field of ancient urban planning and you will notice that once climb up the rock. Besides, from atop, you will get stunning views of the surrounding area which is heavily forested.
Do not miss the chance to view the incredible country from one of the most incredible locations!
- Galle: Once known as Point de Galle, Galle is a major city in the country. Because it remained under the occupation of the Portuguese for a long time, it is very easy to notice their influence in architectural aspects of the city, The Portuguese made Galle into a fortified city, with the Galle fort once considered almost impenetrable. The same fort has now been recognized as a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
Aside from the fort, there are many other things you can see here such as the National Maritime Museum, Shiva temples, and St. Mary’s Cathedral. It is also home to one of the most beautiful stadiums in the world, Galle International Stadium, which you should check out!
- Nuwara Eliya : Located in the Central Province of the country, Nuwara Eliya will give a perfect getaway from the hubbub of city life. It is a famous plateau town which is also affectionately called Little England because of many colonial buildings which the British left behind.
Nuwara Eliya is very natural and offers a quiet and picturesque environment for one’s amusement. While naturalness is ubiquitous, you should certainly visit a couple of places here such as Victoria Park, Gregory Lake, Queen’s Cottage. Also, make sure you try tea out here because it is an extremely important tea planation spot in the country.
- Kandy: Kandy is a city, which in itself is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Encircled by highland mountains, Kandy provides an authentic experience of Sinhalese culture and traditions. You will find vistas, spice gardens, and tea plantations to feed your touristy desires.
You should consider visiting the Temple of the Tooth and Esala Perahera. In addition, visit Ceylon tea Museum, World Buddhism Museum, St. Paul’s Church, and Kandy Lake. Enjoy these places under temperate weather conditions and you can thank me later!
- Bentota: It is time to feel the ocean—and the best place in Sri Lanka to do that is Bentota. Bentota is a small coastal town which is blessed with some of the most mesmerizing beaches of all time. The natural beauty is serene. Added to this, you get access to many luxury hotels which enhance the whole comfort level of tourists.
Bentota is not just for relaxing. You can engage in all kinds of watersports over here. There is no dearth of what you can have. Oh, yes, do not forget the Kasgoda Turtle Hatchery and Galaptatha Raja Maha Vihara—they are awesome!
Have you read?
# Best Countries For Business In Europe For Non-European Investors, 2019 . (Europe)
# World’s Top 100 Cities To Reside In For 2019.
# RANKED: The World’s Top 10 Richest Countries (2017-2027).
# Revealed: Top Rated Visitor Attractions In Every Country In The World.