Out of all the continents in the world, Asia has something mystically beautiful about it. The way Asia preserves its history and heritage is something commendable. Naturally, the number of world heritage sites in Asia are greater than any other place for sure. Ranging from adventurous spots to places of spiritual importance, Asia has everything for the traveler. Here we bring the list of fantastic heritage destinations in Asia which you cannot afford to miss:
- Luang Prabang, Laos: Watch the colonial mansions, gilded temples, and saffron-robed monks collecting alms during the memorable stay here. A historic city located in pristine hills, the riverside town offers breathtaking spiritual indulgence.
- Borobudur, Indonesia: Surrounded by rice paddies and lofty volcanic peaks, this destination survived over a thousand years in the midst of earthquakes, and ash clouds and miraculously untarnished. Elegant stupas, intricate carvings and mystical atmosphere makes this a must-visit heritage site in Asia. It is also regarded as one of the most important Buddhist monuments.
- Kyoto, Japan: Escaping the world war II bombings, this place is a cultural hub of Japan and a historic marvel. The whopping 17 sites here are recognized by UNESCO as world-heritage spots under the heading ‘Historic Monuments of Ancient Kyoto’ and they are the best examples of Japanese architecture and manicured gardens.
- Halong Bay, Vietnam: Being a spectacular seascape of over 2000 limestone pinnacles and islands which rises from emerald green waters of the Gulf of Tonkin, the name literally translates to ‘where the dragons descends to the sea’. The legend here says that the island was indeed created by a dragon crashing down from the mountains, knocking rocks into the sea below.
- Kinabalu National Park, Borneo: Home to over 4500 species of flora and fauna, this was the first place in Malaysia to get UNESCO status. Undoubtedly , the main place here to visit is the lofty Mountain Kinabalu known as Borneo’s Roof with a peak of 4095 meters above the lush jungle. This place offers heritage and adventure at the same time in the same breathtaking manner.
- Angkor Wat, Cambodia: Lying on the seat of Khmer Empire, the magical temple complex is truly an archaeological miracle. Built in the honor of King Suryavarman II in the yearly 12th century, the breathtakingly restored city has 1000 imposing temples which are a treat to watch and experience.
- Great Wall of China: Stretching over 4000 miles, this destination is best accessed via Beijing and is the biggest form of architecture in the planet itself. Dividing the rugged countryside and mountain ranges, the winding path of Great Wall is a classic example of defensive engineering and its advancements back in the history.
- Komodo National Park, Indonesia: Composed of an exquisite collection of Indonesia’s outer islands, this national park is the home to the rare Komodo dragon- the world’s largest lizard and endemic to the area. The sea surrounding this islands is a home for many exotic creatures including manta rays, sharks, dolphins and even blue whales which are attracted to the rich nutrients of this water.