The fashion industry is always transforming. So, only the promising few are let through the doors of the best fashion brands. Even for internships. You need to consider several factors before interning at a fashion house. Some names look great on the outside, but their workplaces are not up to the mark. You need to dig deep and know which brand suits you best. This decision could be among the most significant in your career.
All big brands offer attractive salaries. But nowadays job seekers would also like to have colleagues that guide them well, recognition from the top management, and a healthy work-life balance. These are the world’s best bespoke houses to intern from:
- Asos: Asos assert that they are part of the fashion culture and not in it just to make money. And people don’t just work for Asos. They work with a sense of ownership. The young effervescent workforce and utmost importance to innovation have put Asos among the fastest growing online retailers. Asos introduces hundreds of new product lines every week. So, you will get to enhance your skills because of the exposure you get during your internship. There’s always more to learn at Asos. The employment prospects are quite good. Asos offers full-time job opportunities to deserving interns. More information.
- J.Crew: J.Crew hires interns to discover a new crop of top talents. They let these carefully examined interns get adequate exposure and hands-on experience throughout their internship. Then they hire only the crème de la crème. The motivation of potentially securing a job gets the best out of interns. The culture at J. Crew further helps interns give it their best shot. Employees are highly accommodative of interns. J. Crew’s internships are highly sought because of the progressive thinking, fun workplace, and cohesive teams. It is no surprise that J. Crews has made it to Time.com’s list of top 100 US companies. Just make sure you do not approach this as an internship. Unlike most internships, it’s a lot like a job. More information.
- Nordstrom: You can apply when Nordstrom posts about summer internships around October. And they close the postings around December as they are close to selections by that time. You will get to learn a lot about the industry by interning at Nordstrom. They not only give your fashion career a good start but they also offer you perks like merchandise discounts and competitive remuneration. Nordstrom places a lot of importance on growing from within the company. Glassdoor reviews suggest the supportive staff and dynamic culture are the biggest reasons people wish to work at Nordstrom. Only college students enrolled in an accredited institution can apply for any of Nordstrom’s internship programs. You may apply for multiple internships, but you should apply only if they align with your degree program.
- Hermès: Who wouldn’t want to work for a brand as prestigious as Hermès? After all, it is the best company to work for according to an annual survey by Glassdoor.
Employees have given a solid 4.4 out of 5 ratings for Hermès on Glassdoor. The biggest factors for the same are – strong team spirit, opportunities for internal promotion, and the canteen!
Past interns have also appreciated the fast-paced work environment at Hermès. They considered it to be important to get the best out of interns and giving them a head start over peers in the industry.
To apply for internships at international locations, you will have to be proficient in the local languages. You can apply to intern at the American office if that is a hurdle.
- Kering: This fashion house is home to several illustrious brands. Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Brioni, Girard-Perregaux, Gucci, Saint Laurent, and Ulysse Nardin are the most famous brands under this luxury group. An internship at Kering could pave the way for an excellent career.
Past interns have appreciated the work environment as it focuses hugely on imparting practical knowledge. Work can be overwhelming on occasion. But the people are nice enough to offer valuable guidance so that interns can manage work efficiently and without getting distressed.
The work-life balance is notably good during the off-season, but you may not be able to get too comfortable during peak seasons. You can apply to intern at any of the Kering brands on their careers page.