Yale’s Top 10 Notable Quotations List For 2014: I can’t breathe! Tops
Compiled by Yale Law Library’s associate director and lecturer Fred Shapiro, Hillary Clinton, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Joe Biden have made it into Yale’s top 10 quote list for 2014.
Former Yale Law School student and first lady Hilary Clinton nabbed 2 spots on the widely cited top 10 list.
Unsurprisingly, “I can’t breathe!” – the exclamation made by a black man, Eric Garner, while being placed in a police chokehold – was chosen as the most notable quote of the year.
The original “Yale Book of Quotations” was published in 2006, and librarian Fred Shapiro has updated it with an annual list of the top 10 quotes.
“These are not necessarily quotes I agree with or quotes I think are eloquent or admirable,” he said. He said quotes are chosen because they are famous or important or reflect the spirit of the times.
TOP QUOTES OF 2014: THE YALE BOOK OF QUOTATIONS
1. ‘I can’t breathe!’
Eric Garner, videotaped exclamation while being held by a policeman in New York, July 17, 2014.
2. ‘Time for some traffic problems in Fort Lee.’
Bridget Anne Kelly, an aide to New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie, in an email to David Wildstein quoted in The New York Times, January 9, 2014
3. ‘Hands up! Don’t shoot!’
Chant of demonstrators protesting the shooting death of Michael Brown, Ferguson, Missouri, August 2014
4. ‘Mr. Commissioner, we found out by one phone call. You guys have a whole legal department. Can you explain that?’
TMZ reporter Adam Glyn questioning NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell on why the NFL had not been able to view video of the Ray Rice incident, at a news conference on September 19, 2014
5. ‘It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you’re associating with black people.’
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, in a remark to V. Stiviano on an audio recording quoted in Los Angeles Times, April 27, 2014
6. ‘We came out of the White House not only dead broke, but in debt.’
Hillary Clinton, ABC News interview, June 9, 2014
7. ‘I grew up castrating hogs on an Iowa farm, so when I come to Washington, I’ll know how to cut pork.’
Iowa Senatorial candidate Jodi Ernst, campaign advertisement quoted in National Journal, March 25, 2014
8. ‘I would call attention to the parallels of fascist Nazi (Germany’s) war on its ‘one percent,’ namely its Jews, to the progressive war on the American one percent, namely the ‘rich.’ … I perceive a rising tide of hatred of the successful one percent.’
Venture capitalist Tom Perkins, letter to the editor, Wall Street Journal, January 24, 2014
9. ‘We have always conducted our relationship privately, and we hope that as we consciously uncouple and coparent, we will be able to continue in the same manner.’
Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin, statement on Paltrow’s website announcing their separation, March 25, 2014
10. (tie) ‘Isn’t it a bitch? I mean, … this vice president thing?’
Joe Biden, response to student body vice president at Harvard College, Oct. 2, 2014
10. (tie) ‘Great nations need organizing principles, and “Don’t do stupid stuff” is not an organizing principle.’
Hillary Clinton, Atlantic Online interview, August 10, 2014
10. (tie) ‘Every time I get an opponent – I mean, every time I get a chance – I’m home.’
Kansas Senator Pat Roberts responding to questioning about whether he actually resides in Kansas, KCMO radio interview, July 3, 2014
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- Top 30 Colleges That Produced The Most Fortune 500 CEOs - November 12, 2018
- World’s Top 10 Countries With The Most Ultra-High Net Worth Individuals, 2018 - November 9, 2018
- Share Of Unemployed Receiving Unemployment Benefits [Infographic] - November 9, 2018