Marissa Mayer, “No Margin No Mission”
The journey of Yahoo has been sad to watch…because it was preventable.
Sometimes our human frailty leads us to get enraptured with our company’s 30,000 feet vision. During the consulting engagement to assist the Saint Joseph of Orange’s Board of Directors with their hospital system’s five year growth plan; we in the suits were pitching that the system needed to generate a profit, yet the Sisters on the other side of the board table were certain their purpose in life was service to the poor. The talk grew heated, neither side backing down.
Sister Peggy, the Chairwomen of the Board stands up suddenly and announces, “No Margin, No Mission!” We knew instantly that she nailed the primary need of any organization is survival and that requires after-tax profit, or as it is called in not-for-profit accounting a surplus. What Sister Peggy knew without a speck of business school education, that Marissa apparently has not learned in her career, is that the top boss exhibiting servant leadership needs to ask herself and her team is she running a hobby or a business?
Everyone has advice on Yahoo, but I suggest follow Sister Peggy’s wisdom. Why doesn’t Marissa just make a huge amount of after-tax profit and keep it simple? This would delight shareholders, stop executive flight, and align the leadership team.
Am I missing something?
Have you read?
- Leading Innovation, Creativity in your Enterprise
- Top 25 best countries in the world 2016
- The top-25 best business schools in the world based on the average earnings of graduates
- World’s top 30 biggest money-making football clubs, 2016
- THREE WAYS TO IMPROVE HEALTHCARE IN AFRICA
Author: Chas Klivans, President, The CEO’s Navigator.
You may also be interested in:
- 7 Lessons CEOs Can Learn from Donald Trump Before Donald Trump was in politics, he was one of the biggest business tycoons in the United States. He made most of his money through real estate investments, which is a very tough […] Posted in Leadership
- Gauging the Success of a Super Bowl Ad with Social Analytics Each year brands pump millions of dollars into their Super Bowl ads to build emotional connections with consumers. Following the big game come the critics declaring which ad “won” or […] Posted in Rankings
- The Top 35 Qualities Every Great Manager Needs To Succeed We asked more than 125,000 managers, bosses, and high-level executives to suggest the top qualities every great manager needs to succeed? So, how do good managers become great […] Posted in Growth Leaders
- 8 Essential Entrepreneurial Skills to Teach Your Child (Infographic) Nobody says its easy being a child. As the pressure from year to year rises on getting good grades and growing up into a decent human being, it only gets harder as they mature into an […] Posted in Leadership
- The Renaissance CFO: From Numbers Producer to Strategic Partner In today’s global economy, the job of the CFO is broadening beyond the finance function into a more strategic role. CEOs are in need of CFOs who not only have a firm grasp of financial […] Posted in Leadership
- You make me smile- Happiest Cat Ever You make me smile- Happiest Cat Ever Posted in Leadership