And while it might come as a surprise to some, When it comes to urban living, Swiss cities never fail to impress. Geneva and Zurich top the list of the world’s most liveable cities for the average worker.
Seven out of ten most liveable cities in the world are European and 8 of the 10 least liveable cities across the world are in Asia.
Geneva ranked as number one on the list, followed by Zurich, Singapore, Copenhagen, Helsinki, Luxembourg, Stockholm, Berlin, Hong Kong, and Auckland.
London falls into 22nd place, behind New York (17th), Hong Kong and Tokyo (18th) among others, according to the researchers.
At the very bottom of the table is Jakarta at number 64, but Moscow also fares badly at 62, Istanbul at 59, and Mumbai at 56.
Researchers behind “The 2014 Global Liveable Cities Index,” which looks at standard of living for the average worker across 64 cities in the world, balancing work and play, environmental awareness, localism, globalism and many other factors.
The list was compiled by scientists from the National University of Singapore, University of California and Curtin University in Australia. The index is published in the World Review of Science, Technology and Sustainable Development.
HOW WAS THE LIST COMPILED?
The list was compiled by scientists from the National University of Singapore, University of California and Curtin University in Australia. Instead of compiling a list of economic powerhouses, they created a measure of ‘liveability’ in major cities balancing work and social life as well as culture and sustainability.
Factors taken into account include economic vibrancy and competitiveness, domestic security and stability, socio-cultural conditions, public governance, environmental friendliness and sustainability.
The top 10 most liveable cities in the world
9. Hong Kong
Ten least liveable cities in the world
58. Buenos Aires
61. Phom Penh
1. Richest Celebrities Under 30 In Britain 2014: Incredibly Wealthy Young Millionaires
2. Check Out The 10 Best Cities And Countries In The World To Visit In 2015: Travel Guide
3. You’ve been hacked – Now What?
4. Discover The 100 Brands With The Most Loyal Customers For 2014
5. How Pensioners Plan To Spend Their Retirement: Top 40 Life ambitions For Over-65s?
Please follow me on Twitter: @ceoworld.
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- World’s Top 10 Most Luxurious Global Cities For Luxury Homes In 2017 (Sorry, Paris And Los Angeles) - May 18, 2018
- The Best And Worst European Countries To Be Vegetarian – The Results May Surprise You - May 18, 2018
- America’s 10 Most Popular Summer Destinations For U.S. Travelers, 2018 - May 16, 2018