Located in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, Stanford University was ranked at number 1 on the list of top 20 most innovative universities around the globe while Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) was ranked 2nd and Ivy League stalwart Harvard University, ranked at third.
There’s a nice surprise at No. 4 — the University of Washington and at No. 5 the University of Michigan. Innovation is hard to measure, to answer that question, the Reuters study first identified 500 research institutions that published the most articles in scholarly journals from 2008 to 2013, and then narrowed the list by cross-referencing the number of patents each institution filed based on university inventions.
Top 20 most innovative universities around the globe, 2015:
1. Stanford University, USA
2. Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA
3. Harvard University, USA
4. University of Washington, USA
5. University of Michigan System, USA
6. Northwestern University, USA
7. University of Texas System, USA
8. University of Wisconsin System, USA
9. University of Pennsylvania, USA
10. Korea Advanced Institute of Science & Technology (KAIST), SOUTH KOREA
11. Imperial College London, UK
12. Pohang University of Science & Technology (POSTECH), SOUTH KOREA
13. University of California System, USA
14. University of Southern California, USA
15. University of North Carolina Chapel Hill, USA
16. KU Leuven, BELGIUM
17. Duke University, USA
18. Osaka University, JAPAN
19. Johns Hopkins University, USA
20. California Institute of Technology, USA
Follow CEOWORLD magazine headlines on: Google News, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook.
Thank you for supporting our journalism. Subscribe here.
For media queries, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org