50 Most powerful women in business based outside the United States, 2016
Banco Santander’s boss Ana Botín is the most powerful woman in business based outside the United States, on 2016 prestigious list of lady bosses by Fortune magazine. State Bank of India (SBI) MD Arundhati Bhattacharya, takes the number 2 position, followed by Isabelle Kocher, Chua Sock Koong, and Chanda Kochhar, clocking in at #5.
It’s worth noting that China has the most women on the list, with 13 and the United Kingdom is a close 2nd, with 11 women, followed by:
China = 13 women
UK = 11 women
India, France, Switzerland = 3 women each
Canada, Singapore, South Korea = 2 women each
Spain, Turkey, Sweden, South Africa, Saudi Arabia, Belgium, Taiwan, Israel, Australia, Italy, Hong Kong = 1 woman each.
Three Indian women bankers are among the most powerful women based outside the United States – State Bank of India boss Arundhati Bhattacharya, ranked second; ICICI head Chanda Kochhar, ranked fifth; and Axis Bank CEO Shikha Sharma, on the 19th position.
13 high-powered Chinese businesswomen made it into the latest list: Dong Mingzhu, ranks 11th on the list, followed by Wang Fengying, is on 12th spot, Li Dang, occupies the 13th rank.
Others on the list are Lucy Peng, Wu Yajun and Wei Sun Christianson, ranking 16th, 26th, and 31th respectively. Maggie Wei Wu, Jennifer Li, and Rachel Duan take the 32th, 34th and 35th places respectively.
Jean Liu, secures the 36th place, followed by Tsai (Patty) Pei-Chun, and Sun Yafang, chairwoman of technology giant Huawei Technologies. Zhou Qunfei,founder of touch-screen maker Lens Technology, is on the 48th place.
Top 50 most powerful women based outside the United States:
1. Ana Botín, Group Executive Chairman, Banco Santander, Spain
2. Arundhati Bhattacharya, Chairperson, State Bank of India, India
3. Isabelle Kocher, CEO, Engie, France
4. Chua Sock Koong, Group CEO, Singapore Telecommunications, Singapore
5. Chanda Kochhar, Managing Director and CEO, ICICI Bank, India
6. Alison Cooper, CEO, Imperial Brands, UK
7. Güler Sabancı, Chairman, Sabancı Holding, Turkey
8. Ho Ching, Executive Director and CEO, Temasek, Singapore
9. Annika Falkengren, CEO and President, SEB Group, Sweden
10. Ornella Barra, Co-COO, Walgreens Boots Alliance, UK
11. Dong Mingzhu, CEO, Gree Electric Appliances, China
12. Wang Fengying, CEO and Executive Director, Great Wall Motor, China
13. Li Dang, President and Director, China General Technology, China
14. Wan Ling Martello, Head of Asia, Oceania and Africa, Nestlé, Switzerland
15. Patricia Barbizet, CEO, Artemis; CEO & Chairman, Christie’s International, Groupe Artemis, France
16. Lucy Peng, CEO, Ant Financial, China
17. Rose Lee Wai Mun, Vice Chair, CEO, Hang Seng Bank, Hong Kong
18. Véronique Laury, CEO, Kingfisher, U.K.
19. Shikha Sharma, CEO and Managing Director, Axis Bank, India
20. Maria Ramos, Group CEO, Barclays Africa Group, South Africa
21. Dominique Senequier, President, Ardian, France
22. Carolyn McCall , CEO, EasyJet, U.K.
23. Serpil Timuray, Regional CEO, AMAP, Vodafone, U.K.
24. Lubna Olayan, CEO and Deputy Chairperson, Olayan Financing, Saudi Arabia
25. Nancy McKinstry, CEO and Chairman, Wolters Kluwer, Netherlands
26. Wu Yajun, Chairman, Longfor Properties, China
27. Moya Greene, CEO, Royal Mail, U.K.
28. Kwon Seon-joo, CEO and Chairman, Industrial Bank of Korea, South Korea
29. Isabelle Ealet, Global Co-Head of Securities, Goldman Sachs, U.K.
30. Dominique Leroy, CEO, Proximus, Belgium
31. Wei Sun Christianson, Co-CEO Asia-Pacific, CEO China, Morgan Stanley, China
32. Maggie Wei Wu, CFO, Alibaba, China
33. Emma Walmsley, CEO, GSK Consumer Healthcare, GSK, U.K.
34. Jennifer Li, CFO, Baidu, China
35. Rachel Duan , SVP, GE; CEO and President, GE China, General Electric, China
36. Jean Liu, President, Didi Chuxing, China
37. Tsai (Patty) Pei-Chun, CEO, Pou Chen Group, Taiwan
38. Sun Yafang, Chairman, Huawei Technologies, China
39. Alison Brittain, CEO, Whitbread, U.K.,
40. Erica Mann, Head of Consumer Health Division, Bayer, Switzerland
41. Margarita Louis-Dreyfus, Chairperson of Supervisory Board, Louis Dreyfus Holding, Switzerland
42. Boo-Jin Lee, CEO, Hotel Shilla, South Korea
43. Rakefet Russak-Aminoach, CEO and President, Leumi Group, Israel
44. Ann Cairns, President, International Markets, MasterCard, U.K.
45. Anne Richards, CEO, M&G Investments, U.K.
46. Nancy Southern, CEO, Chair and President, ATCO, Canada
47. Alison Watkins, Group Managing Director, Coca-Cola Amatil, Australia
48. Zhou Qunfei, CEO and Founder, Lens Technology, China
49. Marina Berlusconi , Exec. Chairman, Fininvest; Chairman, Mondadori, Fininvest, Italy
50. Linda Hasenfratz, CEO, Linamar, Canada
Magazine also released this year’s list of the 50 most powerful women the United States. Also read, CEOWORLD Magazine’s Most Powerful Women In The World, 2016 ranking.
You may also be interested in:
- The Surprising ROI of MOOCs (Massive Open Online Courses) MOOCs (massive open online courses) have been revolutionizing online education for several years and are now becoming a major force in the corporate world. Designed to enroll thousands of […] Posted in Rankings
- Is Your Balanced Scorecard Hurting Your Results? Sarah winced as the hourly stack rankings beeped through her smartphone.She didn’t have to say a word. Karin knew that look from the inside out. She’s been on the frantic receiving end […] Posted in Perspective
- Best Business Schools In India, 2016 In the early decades, a specialised academic background for running a successful business was not mandatory. But with the emergence of fresh ideas and new competition, the Importance of […] Posted in Rankings, India
- Maternal mortality, 2015: Why are so many women dying from childbirth? According to a major study by the World Health Organisation shows, for every 100,000 live births in Burundi in 2015, 7012 women died due to pregnancy and childbirth complications. Sierra […] Posted in Rankings
- Top 10 Social Media Tips for Job-Seekers- I wish I had started sooner Today's social media websites, simple web content editing tools, and easily created blogs and personal website applications give job seekers the ability to add content and manage their […] Posted in Rankings
- The Top 25 ultimate yacht charter destinations in the world, 2015 To help you plan your next yacht charter vacation, CEOWORLD magazine has identified the 25 best sailing destination on the planet. The CEOWORLD magazine drafted in a team of world's top […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.