Top 20 Most Recognizable Songs Of All Time
Oddly enough, a recent study by Manchester’s Museum of Science and Industry (MOSI) argues that “Wannabe” by the Spice Girls may be the most recognizable song — the catchiest song ever. It’s official!
To collect data, researchers developed an interactive online game, called “Hooked On Music” that asked 12,000 participants to name a song randomly selected from over 1,000 best-selling tunes when it began playing from the hook.
Apparently, of all the songs played, the Spice Girls’ anthem ‘Wannabe’ was recognised in the fastest time — 2.29 seconds, to be precise.
Elvis Presley had two songs (It’s Now Or Never and Devil in Disguise) on the list, as did Lady Gaga (Just Dance and Poker Face).
Other songs in the top ten included Lou Bega’s “Mambo No 5,” which was the second most recognisable song in the list, clocking in at just 2.48 seconds.
Survivor’s “Eye of the Tiger” came in third at 2.62 seconds with Lady Gaga, Abba, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, Roy Orbison, Aerosmith and the Human League rounding out the top ten.
Here is the list in full – Top 20 Most Recognizable Songs Of All Time:
- Spice Girls – Wannabe: 2.29 seconds
- Lou Bega – Mambo No 5: 2.48 seconds
- Survivor – Eye of the Tiger: 2.62 seconds
- Lady Gaga – Just Dance: 2.66 seconds
- ABBA – SOS: 2.73 seconds
- Roy Orbison – Pretty Woman: 2.73 seconds
- Michael Jackson – Beat It: 2.80 seconds
- Whitney Houston – I Will Always Love You: 2.83 seconds
- The Human League – Don’t You Want Me: 2.83 seconds
- Aerosmith – I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing: 2.84 seconds
- Lady Gaga – Poker Face: 2.88 seconds
- Hanson – MMMbop: 2.89 seconds
- Elvis Presley – It’s Now Or Never: 2.91 seconds
- Bachman-Turner Overdrive – You Ain’t Seen Nothin’ Yet: 2.94 seconds
- Michael Jackson – Billie Jean: 2.97 seconds
- Culture Club – Karma Chameleon: 2.99 seconds
- Britney Spears – Baby One More Time: 2.99 seconds
- Elvis Presley – Devil in Disguise: 3.01 seconds
- Boney M – Rivers of Babylon: 3.03 seconds
- Elton John – Candle in the Wind: 3.04 seconds
Ashley Burgoyne, a computational musicologist from the University of Amsterdam, Netherlands, who conceived the idea, told BBC News there is “very little” scientific literature on whether the most memorable pieces of music shared particular characteristics.
“You may only hear something a couple of times yet 10 years later you immediately realise that you have heard it before,” he said.
- The top 28 most reliable automakers in the world: Survey rankings 2014
- Which Companies Are Spending The Most on Lobbying In Washington, D.C: Top 10 corporate spenders?
- Women In Top Leadership: Friendliest Places For Female Executives In The United States 2014
- Disturbed by False Advertising? Get Over It!
- The 25 Most Valuable Hollywood Actors and Actresses: Ranking 2014
You may also be interested in:
- 5 Critical Tasks a Business Attorney Performs: Why a Lawyer is Critical to Small Business Owners? Most business owners are insanely passionate about what they do and they know their […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Introducing HSAs to Employees: Bring a Financial Advisor As a species, human beings are very adaptable to changing circumstances; this is how […] Posted in Education Insider
- Best Trendy Straight Denim Jeans for Women to buy- Top deal Here is a list of the Top Best Trendy Straight Denim Jeans for Women to buy, that’ll be […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Salary is the top attraction for candidates A new survey has revealed the biggest attraction for more than three-quarters of […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- List Of 20 Most Influential People In The British Fashion Industry 2015 Victoria Beckham, Cara Delevingne, and the Duchess of Cambridge all make it on to the […] Posted in Rankings, CEO Insider
- Top 20 Most Valuable Sports Franchises In The World: 2015 List Real Madrid have retained their number one spot in Forbes 2015 list of the top 50 most […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- When Disney films have taken a darker turn- Worst Disney moments 1) The Black Cauldron- The Black Cauldron was the first Disney animated feature to be […] Posted in Rankings
- Bravery vs Bravado – what type of leader are you? Simon Sinek has a fantastic quote from his article Failure Is An Option; “to operate […] Posted in CEO Insider
- Best Trendy Camisoles and Tanks (TOPS) for Women to buy Here is a list of the top Best Trendy Camisoles and Tanks for Women to buy, that'll be […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- The Top 30 Highest-paid CEOs In The United States 2014 Charif Souki, the president and CEO of Cheniere Energy in Houston, is the highest-paid […] Posted in Rankings