Stats Gate

Best Countries: How much time do you spend on team activities and individual activities?

This report draws on a survey of 120,000 CEOs, CFOs, and senior business executives conducted by the CEOWORLD magazine in April and June 2021. Respondents represented 200 countries around the world across Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania. Approximately 50% of the respondents were c-suite executives and high-level advisers to their boards and just under 50% represent the human resource function. Companies surveyed varied in size, with 30% earning in excess of US$1 billion in revenues each year and the remaining 70% earning between US$250 million and US$1 billion.

Respondents from China spend the most time on team activities, at 89.43%, while those from South Africa spend the least, at 65.27%. Other BRICS countries also score highly in terms of the amount of time they spend on team activities, whereas European countries, including Germany, France, and the United Kingdom tend to be more individualistic in how they allocate their time.

How companies use teams to drive superior corporate performance: According to one report by CEOWORLD magazine, “Teams facilitate the transfer of knowledge, and in the knowledge economy of today, knowledge may by powerful but sharing knowledge is the true source of power because it enables others to act.”

“Almost 8 out of 10 companies agree that the problems confronting them are now so complex that teams are essential to provide effective solutions.” High-performance teams have a shared commitment to quality and results.

Individualism versus collectivism: Among the 120,000 senior business executives surveyed for this report, an overwhelming majority think that their organization’s ability to develop and manage teams will be essential for their future competitiveness. On average, respondents globally say that they spend more than 46% of their time on team-related activities. But the proportion of time spent on teams varies from country to country.

How much time do you spend on team activities and individual activities?

RankCountryTeam-related activities (%)
1China89.43
2India88.38
3Japan 87.35
4Israel87.08
5Taiwan 87
6South Korea 86.49
7Singapore 85.32
8Canada 84.27
9Russia83.8
10United States 68.04
11Brazil67.16
12United Arab Emirates66.39
13Indonesia 66.06
14South Africa65.27
15Germany64.14
16Norway63.2
17France 61.3
18Italy 60.97
19United Kingdom60.66
20Netherlands 60.25
21Australia59.85
22Switzerland 59.65
23Spain58.8
24Bulgaria 58.59
25Luxembourg 58.37
26Mexico58.1
27Croatia 57.96
28Slovakia57.3
29Greece57.12
30New Zealand56.55
31Portugal56.49
32Czech Republic 55.97
33Romania 55.55
34Finland55.05
35Denmark55.04
36Philippines55
37Argentina54.87
38Ireland 54.6
39Austria54.53
40Thailand53.53
41Belgium53.26
42Turkey 53.01
43Sweden 52.65
44Poland 52.41
45Malta 52.03
46Iceland 51.77
47Cyprus51.41
48Estonia51.03
49Latvia50.95
50Lithuania50.63
51Slovenia50.43
52Georgia 50.36
53Serbia 49.85
54Armenia49.67
55Uruguay 49.67
56Jordan 49.63
57Mauritius 49.04
58Tunisia48.53
59Mongolia48.4
60Nigeria47.96
61Ethiopia47.73
62Sri Lanka 47.03
63Oman 46.58
64Angola46.22
65Ghana46.04
66Tanzania 45.98
67Belarus45.54
68Brunei 45.41
69Lebanon45.38
70Bolivia 45.31
71Cameroon45.27
72Paraguay 44.91
73Bahrain 44.35
74Azerbaijan 43.87
75DR Congo43.84
76Turkmenistan 43.83
77Pakistan43.33
78Uganda42.77
79Senegal 42.39
80Zimbabwe42.03
81Burkina Faso 41.68
82North Korea41.05
83Benin 41.01
84Mozambique 40.87

Track Latest News Live on CEOWORLD magazine and get news updates from the United States and around the world. The views expressed are those of the author and are not necessarily those of the CEOWORLD magazine. Follow CEOWORLD magazine on Twitter and Facebook. For media queries, please contact: info@ceoworld.biz

Sophie Ireland
SVP for News and Editorial Director. As CEOWORLD magazine's senior vice president for news and editorial director, Sophie Ireland oversees CEOWORLD magazine's journalism and journalists around the world and across platforms. She leads an award-winning team of journalists and newsroom executives who are committed to excellence, innovation and the highest quality reporting and storytelling. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or connect on LinkedIn. Email her at sophie@ceoworld.biz.