3 Reasons Every CEO Must Have a Blog in 2016
As a CEO, you already know the power of doing business in the world today… but do you know the opportunity that lies within the world of blogging? If not, this article is definitely for you!
Blogging first started many years ago and it’s changed a lot over the past decade. What used to be seen as a way for people to share their thoughts and opinions online in the form of a daily diary or journal has now developed into one of the most powerful content creation platforms out there. However, blogging wouldn’t be what it is today without the use of WordPress — the free software that powers the majority of blogs on the internet today. Sites TechCrunch, The New Yorker, Variety and even the Official Star Wars blog are all running off the free WordPress platform, while also generating millions of monthly visitors and huge revenue numbers in the process.
Bring an active CEO, what’s the benefit to having a blog of your own? Plenty… and that’s exactly what I’m going to be outlining for you in this article today.
With over 20 years of experience in the world of online marketing, content creation and lead generation, it wasn’t till I launched my blog at ZacJohnson.com in 2007 that I truly understood the value of having my own established brand. Whether you are a veteran CEO with millions of dollars in the bank or a startup CEO who is just getting their feet wet for the first time, a blog can help you in many different ways — and here’s seven benefits you simply can’t miss out on!
3 ways a blog can help change your life, brand, and business
1 – Be in Control of Your Reputation Online
When someone searches for your name in Google, what will they find? Hopefully they find your social profiles or main web site, but if they don’t, your reputation could be up for grabs!
If you aren’t ranking at the top of the search results, then you might as well not rank at all. A blog is one of the most effective ways for ranking at the top of the search results while also having control over your reputation in the process. For many CEOs, it would be best to own their personal name as their blog domain name. For myself, my name is “Zac Johnson” and “ZacJohnson.com” is my blog name. I also rank #1 in Google for the phrase and dominate nearly all of the first page for that search as well. The benefit here is that I know whenever someone searches for my name, they are actually going to find my sites, my social profiles or interviews I’ve done with other media outlets.
To accomplish something similar, all you would need to do is create your site and make it the main hub for everything about you. This would include creating original content on the site, having all of your social profiles link back to it and also referencing it in any news and media outlets as well. The more high-quality incoming links you can get to your site, the higher it will rank in Google. As you continue to focus on your content and marketing outreach, there is no reason why you shouldn’t be able to obtain that #1 spot in Google — unless you share the name of a famous celebrity, sports athlete or politician!
2 – Be the Authority
If you had all the money in the world and wanted to hire someone for a project, wouldn’t you want to hire the best? Of course you would!
A blog is an excellent way to establish yourself and your expertise online. A good example of this would be if you were a mechanic, wealth advisor or contractor. Every day these professionals are asked the same questions and always give the same answers. Instead of having to repeat themselves daily, wouldn’t it be better if they just told people to visit their site where they could get all of the information they need, and much more?
In today’s world of fast-paced information and Google being the beginning and end of pretty much everything, it should be a major focus point of every professional and CEO to make sure they have a presence online that shows off their expertise. It’s not just about creating content on your own site, it’s also about getting your name out there on other relevant industry sites as well.
A perfect example of this would be through guest blogging, which is what I’m doing right now on the CEOWorld Magazine. Yes, I already do have a following online and a platform of my own, but how many people are going to discover who I am thanks to this value post write up?
In short, it’s definitely worth your time — and if you hate writing content or think it’s below your pay grade, have someone from your writing team put content out there to represent your brand.
3 – Increase Brand Awareness and Revenue
Billions of dollars are generated every single day from the millions of blogs on the internet. While the methods used for making money with a blog continually change, the blogs that consistently see the highest returns on investment are the ones that understand their audience’s needs and provide them with a solution to their problem.
Being a CEO and having a business of your own, it’s very likely that you will know who your exact target audience is. However, don’t just look at your blog as a way to sell to your audience, think of it as a way to bring that extra level of support, care, trust and brand loyalty that so many brands are lacking today.
The bottom line is that your blog is going to be working for you 24 hours a day, 365 days per year. If the content that you put out there truly provides value and represents your brand well, you are looking at potentially the best branding play in all of history!
CEOs: Start Your Blog Today!
The role of a CEO is one of the most important positions within a company. It’s also quite understandable for a CEO to not have the time or interest in running a personal or company blog of their own, but this doesn’t mean that you should completely push the thought to the side.
Every business, brand and expert should have a blog — ’nuff said!
As the CEO, it should be in your best interest to make sure a blog represents your brand well, provides your audience with somewhere they can find valuable information on your services, team members and company history outside of your main web site. It would also be a perfect opportunity for the CEO to deliver a monthly message to their customer or businesses within the industry.
Have you read?
1. Customer Experience: Your Secret Weapon Against the Competition
2. Capitalizing on Brazil’s vibrant sectors vital to boosting economy amid oil price fluctuations
3. Methods of communication between recruiters and candidates
By Zac Johnson, 20 years of experience in the online marketing and business space.
You may also be interested in:
- Innovative Products that Can Grow Your Business It is not unusual to see a Starbucks line-up that is multiple people long, sometimes even bursting out onto the street. Coffee has become a daily essential for many people. It is now […] Posted in Rankings
- Executive’s good intentions Leadership is produced in our minds, conceived using thought, and is a perspective of our life. Our thoughts are structured using the language we know, and the words we use have meaning. […] Posted in Leadership, CEO Insider
- 4 Tips on Running A Successful Family Business An estimated 80 percent of U.S. businesses are family owned or controlled. So in writing this, I know many can relate when I say that family businesses are both rewarding and challenging. […] Posted in Leadership
- 5 ways to work in high gear without burning out What’s going on? Emails gush into our inbox at an unprecedented pace, restructures require us to cover the jobs of 2 or 3 people at a time, we spend the majority of our day in meetings, […] Posted in Leadership
- Tough Talk Doesn’t Have To Be Rough Talk A few years ago the leadership team at Domino's garnered much respect for their willingness to absorb tough talk. Sensing a growing problem, senior management ordered a series of […] Posted in CEO Insider
- 27 Richest Property Tycoons In America: Real Estate Billionaires While Donald Trump may be the most famous and familiar face among real estate moguls, he is not the richest. Coming in as the richest of the real estate tycoons on the FORBES Billionaires […] Posted in Leadership