The World’s Top 10 Female Sports Earners For 2014
International tennis sensation Maria Sharapova has topped the Forbes list of the world’s top ten highest paid female athletes for 2014, with Chinese tennis star Li Na Li Na close behind.
Serena Williams, the 19-time Grand Slam title winning tennis star, at No 2, and South Korean figure skater Kim Yuna coming in at No 4 with a total earnings of $16.3 million.
1. Maria Sharapova (Total earnings: $24.4 million)
Prize money: $2.4 million
Endorsements: $22 million
At only 28 years of age, Maria Sharapova does not earn the most on the court, but thanks to multiple endorsement deals, she was the top earner at $24.4 million. Maria Sharapova is also the highest paid female tennis player in the world.
2. Li Na (Total earnings: $23.6 million)
Prize money: $5.6 million
Endorsements: $18 million
Chinese tennis star Li Na hauled in $23.6 million, with $5.6 million in prize money and the rest through multiple endorsements.
3. Serena Williams (Total earnings: $22 million)
Prize money: $11 million
Endorsements: $11 million
Propelled by $11 million in prize money, the younger of the Williams sisters, Serena earned $22 million in total income last year. But despite career earnings of almost double that of rival Sharapova, Williams simply cannot match the Russian when it comes to endorsements.
4. Kim Yuna
Total earnings: $16.3 million
Prize money: $300,000
Endorsements: $16 million
South Korean figure skater Kim Yuna earned approximately $16.3 million on top of winning a silver medal in the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
5. Danica Patrick
Total earnings: $15 million
Salary/winnings: $7 million
Endorsements/licensing: $8 million
Patrick sits 28th in the Nascar standings, Danica Patrick earned $15 million despite having no Sprint Cup wins and limited top-ten finishes. Danica Patrick is arguably as well known outside racing for her sponsorship with GoDaddy.
6. Victoria Azarenka
Total earnings: $11.1 million
Prize money: $3.6 million
Endorsements: $7.5 million
Azarenka, the second ranked female tennis player in 2013, pulled in $11.1 million with $7.5 million in endorsements from Nike and Red Bull, among others.
7. Caroline Wozniacki
Total earnings: $10.8 million
Prize money: $1.3 million
Endorsements: $9.5 million
The tennis star and up-and-coming men’s golf star Rory McIlroy ended their engagement last year, but it seemed to work out well for both. Wozniacki earned $10.8 million, propelled by $1.3 million in prize money and a lucrative deal with Adidas.
8. Agnieszka Radwanska
Total earnings: $6.8 million
Prize money: $3.8 million
Endorsements: $3.0 million
The Polish tennis star earned $6.8 million, with $3.8 million in prize money and a sponsorship from the Cheesecake Factory.
9. Ana Ivanovic
Total earnings: $6.4 million
Prize money: $1.4 million
Endorsements: $5.0 million
The “comeback kid” of sorts with respect to earnings, Ivanovic won three tennis tournaments in 2014 and earned $6.4 million total in 2014, buoyed by a lifetime contract with Adidas.
10. Paula Creamer
Total earnings: $5.5 million
Prize money: $1.0 million
Endorsements: $4.5 million
You may also be interested in:
- An Interview With Mahavir Pratap Sharma President of Rajasthan Angel Investor Network (RAIN) Can you briefly describe Rajasthan Angel Investor Network (RAIN) and the offerings? Mahavir Pratap Sharma, President of Rajasthan Angel Investor Network (RAIN): Rajasthan Angel Investor […] Posted in Rankings
- HDenis Hennequin will replace Gilles Pelisson as Chairman and chief executive officer at Accor SA French hotels company, Accor SA, Europe’s largest hotelier will replace Gilles Pelisson as chief executive officer after the current CEO had differences with the board, Europe head Denis […] Posted in Leadership
- Here’s How Spanish Business Schools Dominate European B-School Ranking 2014 In the age of global economic uncertainty, three Spanish business schools ranked among the top 10 in the latest Financial Times rankings of European business schools.Madrid´s IE […] Posted in Rankings
- 2015’s Top 10 Software-as-a-Service solution for big data analytics companies list After undergoing a rigorous selection process, Alteryx, Ayasdi, C3 Energy, 1010data, and BeyondCore was recognized among the foremost Software-as-a-Service solution for big data analytics […] Posted in Rankings
- Here Are Some Quick And Easy Diet Tips For Business Travelers As someone who has traveled for business for over 20 years, I have always found that even the best fitness regimens can be easily upset by business travel. Just like your sleep habits […] Posted in Perspective
- 5 Golden Rules: The Ultimate Money-Saving Guide for SMEs If you are a business owner still turning away customers because you do not have any electronic payment infrastructure in place, let me give it to you straight – you are not doing yourself […] Posted in CEO Insider
He is responsible for overseeing newsroom assignments and publishing, and providing support to the editor in chief.