Top 10 Largest Private Charitable Foundations In The World Created By Richest People For 2015
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation ((BMGF), established by Bill and Melinda Gates tops the list of the 10 largest private charitable foundations led by the World’s richest people, according to a study of philanthropies created by ultra-high-net-worth individuals. The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation’s assets currently stand at $43.5 billion.
With $8.1 billion in assets, Hong Kong-based charitable organization “The Li Ka Shing Foundation” founded in 1980 by Hong Kong entrepreneur Li Ka-shing, holds the No. 2 spot, according to a report by Wealth-X. Li Ka-shing’s personal wealth is $22.1 billion.
Others on the list include the the Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation, and Bloomberg Philanthropies, Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF), the Carlos Slim Foundation, among others.
1. Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Foundation assets: $43.5 billion
Primary founder: Bill gates
Net worth: $85.7 billion
2. LI KA SHING FOUNDATION
Foundation assets: $8.1 billion
Primary founder: LI KA-SHING
Net worth: $22.1 billion
Country: HONG KONG
LI KA-SHING is the CHAIRMAN OF CK HUTCHISON HOLDINGS.
3. Gordon and Betty Moore Foundation
Foundation assets: $6.4 billion
Primary founder: GORDON EARLE MOORE
Net worth: $6.4 billion
4. Bloomberg Philanthropies (FORMERLY BLOOMBERG FAMILY FOUNDATION)
Foundation assets: $5.4 billion
Primary founder: MICHAEL BLOOMBERG
Net worth: $33.7 billion
5. Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF)
Foundation assets: $4.5 billion
Primary founder: Sir Chris Hohn
Net worth: $820 Million
Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) was co-founded by Sir Chris Hohn and his ex-wife Jamie Cooper. Sir Chris Hohn has been the primary donor to the foundation – his hedge fund, The Children’s Investment Fund Management (TCI), has donated a total of approximately US$1.9 billion since the foundation’s inception. His ex-wife Jamie Cooper runs the foundation, and Sir Chris Hohn has not donated to it since the couple’s divorce in 2013.
6. SULAIMAN BIN ABDUL-AZIZ AL RAJHI ENDOWMENTS
Foundation assets: $4.3 billion
Primary founder: SULAIMAN BIN ABDUL AZIZ AL RAJHI
Net worth: $300 Million
Country: SAUDI ARABIA
7. OPEN SOCIETY FOUNDATION (FOUNDATION TO PROMOTE OPEN SOCIETY)
Foundation assets: $3.3 billion
Primary founder: GEORGE SOROS
Net worth: $26.5 billion
8. SUSAN THOMPSON BUFFETT FOUNDATION
Foundation assets: $2.9 billion
Primary founder: WARREN BUFFETT
Net worth: $65 billion
9. CARLOS SLIM Foundation
Foundation assets: $2.6 billion
Primary founder: CARLOS SLIM
Net worth: $35.4 billion
10. CHARLES AND LYNN SCHUSTERMAN
Foundation assets: $2.2 billion
Primary founder: LYNN SCHUSTERMAN
Net worth: $3.4 billion
To qualify for an ultra-high-net-worth designation, an individual must have investable assets of at least $30 million, excluding their personal assets and property (such as a primary residence).
You may also be interested in:
- Taiwan’s Acer Inc June sales up 0.53 pct to $1.39 billion Taiwan's Acer Inc (2353.TW), the world’s largest supplier of notebook computers, said its June sales were $1.39 billion, up 0.53 percent from the same month a year earlier. In May company […] Posted in Leadership
- Best Trendy Collared Button Down Shirt for Women to buy Here is a list of the top Best Trendy Collared button down Shirt for Women to buy, that'll be perfect for her. To improve your chances of buying the first rule of shopping for Collared […] Posted in Leadership
- Partnership with civil society to make cohesion policy a reality for Europeans The EESC calls on the European Commission and the other EU decision makers to introduce a simplified, results-oriented, future cohesion policy for the period 2013-2020. Genuine, flexible […] Posted in Leadership
- Top Priorities for a CIO to Meet Digital Demands in B2B Commerce The role of the CIO in today’s digital age has changed dramatically. When the job title was first created, its main objectives were to keep all systems up and running, to keep insider […] Posted in Education
- Best Business Schools In India, 2016 In the early decades, a specialised academic background for running a successful business was not mandatory. But with the emergence of fresh ideas and new competition, the Importance of […] Posted in Rankings, India
- CEO Taking On 2nd Industry On Behalf Of End Users Growing up in the basement of a 900 square foot home with carpet squares for a floor and sheets for walls, I was used to fighting for what I needed and wanted. Having worked since the age […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.