No more Free TV online- Goodbye to FilmOn.com, Ivi Inc next
The owners of the major broadcast networks Fox, CBS, ABC and NBC won a temporary restraining order against FilmOn.com Plc, a company that streams the signals of TV stations over the Web without permission of the networks. Naomi Reice Buchwald of the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York issued the order.
The Wall Street Journal noted that the legal clash is just one of many as media companies seek to control how viewers access TV content online. FilmOn founder Alki David told WSJ that TV networks “have to deal with me or someone like me or be devoured by the pirates.” FilmOn and Ivi both allow users to stream the same OTA broadcasts—with commercials intact—as they would be able to access for free with an antenna.
Fox is owned by News Corporation (NWSA), CBS by CBS Corp (CBS), ABC is a unit of Walt Disney Co (DIS) and NBC is a unit of General Electric Co (GE.N).
Another company Ivi Inc., which has also been streaming the signals of TV stations. Ivi has filed a suit in U.S. District Court in Seattle in an effort to get a ruling that it is not violating the rights of the networks by streaming their content online.
You may also be interested in:
- The Scarecrow’s Brains: Leadership Lessons from the Wizard of Oz As a parent of two grown children I reflect back on some of the advice I gave to my […] Posted in Rankings
- What Personally Motivates CEOs To Act On Climate Change? A desire to protect the interests of future generations is seen as a critical or even […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- World’s top 25 universities under the age of 50, 2015 rankings The Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in Singapore ranked No. 1 in the world among […] Posted in CEO Insider
- How to command attention with credible, capable and catchy communication In business we need to construct a message that gets peoples attention, gets it fast and […] Posted in Success Insider
- Richest Business Schools In America With The Largest Endowments, 2015 When it comes to receiving financial contributions, some business schools are in a […] Posted in Rankings
- Is Jennifer Lopez and Ojani Noa honeymoon tape- porn studios bidding war? Leading porn studios, YouPorn.com, Red Light District and PornHub.com all on war over […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- What Qualities Would We Look For In A Woman That Can Make Her Irresistible? Contrary to what you think you know about the qualities most men look for in a woman […] Posted in Rankings
- How to Optimize Your Use of Online Forms Forms are great marketing tools in your strategy to generate leads. They’re the […] Posted in Success Insider
- These Are The 20 Most Reliable Car Brands In America For 2017 It's no surprise that Lexus (Toyota’s luxury brand) was rated as the most reliable car […] Posted in Leadership Insider, Luxury Insider
- Gender Parity In The Corner Office: 14 Highest-Paid Female Chief Executives Carol Meyrowitz, the Chief Executive Officer of TJX Companies is the "highest-paid […] Posted in Leadership Insider