Expats who want to explore elementary school in Greece should read this article. Several international schools have come up and are increasingly becoming popular. These schools are private and largely concentrated in Athens, the capital. Yes, they do not come cheap, but they are excellent institutions in terms of education, infrastructure, and exposure.
One such school is St. Catherine’s British School. It ranks among the best private schools in the country and has a long legacy to maintain. If you are considering sending your children to elementary school, consider St. Catherine’s.
Before anything else, you should know these things about the school.
- History of the School
As noted earlier, St. Catherine’s British School has a long legacy behind it. It was founded in 1956 and is located in Lykovrissi in Athens. The original intention of the school was to educate children from the British and Commonwealth nations. But now, it extends its services to other nationalities. Presently, it has more than 1300 students under its aegis and from across 54 nationalities.
- The academic structure of the school
There are six departments in the school.
- Foundation Stage: It is the first stage of the school and covers Nursery and Reception. Students aged between 3 and 5 attend this stage.
- Key Stage One: This stage is called Years 1 and Years 2 and admits students between the ages of 5 and 7.
- Key Stage Two: This stage is called Years 3 and Years 4. Ages between 7 and 11 years are considered for the stage.
- Key Stage Three: This stage is called Years 7 and Years 9. This stage admits students aged between 11 and 14 years.
- Key Stage Four: This stage is called Years 10 and Years 11. Students at this stage belong to the age group of 14 to 16 years.
- International Baccalaureate (IB): The final stage covers Years 12 and 13 and is the last lap in school for children aged between 16 and 18. Upon qualifying for the stage, the IB Diploma is awarded.
The admission cycle in the school starts in October. Like many other international schools, admissions are made throughout the year but are subject to availability. The applicants, however, have to keep in mind the following:
- Preference may be given to those who are Australian, British, Canadian & from any Commonwealth country.
- English language proficiency is also assessed.
- Academic ability and mannerisms.
- Sibling already enrolled in the school.
- Any family member who had previously studied in the school.
- Date of application.
- Elementary school at St. Catherine’s
Key Stage 1 & 2 comprises elementary school here. From ages 5 to 11, students are admitted to these stages. Students in Key Stage 1 are aged between 5 and 7 and are taught subjects such as Literacy, History, Art, Design and Technology, and Numeracy. On the other hand, Key Stage 2 is composed of children aged between 7 and 11. Subjects taught in this stage include Social, Health, and Economic Education, History, Science, Maths, and Design Technology.
Have you read?
Honor Gordon Moore: Unite Across Party Lines to Fuel Innovation by Lisa Gable.
CEO’s and Accelerators with design thinking readiness, challenging assumptions by Prof. (Dr.) Manoj Joshi.
Enhance Your Business’s Visual Identity with High-Quality Stock Images.