French luxury mogul Bernard Arnault’s net worth topped $195.4 billion — beating Jeff Bezos to become the richest person in the world. Arnault’s entire family net worth puts him a mere $2.1 billion above Bezos. Both Arnault and Bezos sit comfortably above third-place runner-up Elon Musk.
Bernard Arnault is the chief executive of LVMH, which has a market capitalization of more than $400 billion, in which he holds a 47.5% stake. Its subsidiaries include Louis Vuitton, Moët & Chandon, Christian Dior and Tiffany & Co.
Bezos’s net worth fell $13.9 billion after the retailer posted second-quarter earnings Thursday afternoon that fell short of analyst expectations. Despite stepping down as CEO of Amazon, Bezos owns about 11% of the company and serves as the firm’s executive chairman. He still holds a $13 billion lead over the Tesla founder.
Amazon.com Inc.’s weaker-than-expected second-quarter results also lowered the net worth of Bezos’ ex-wife, MacKenzie Scott, to an estimated $56 billion, a $4.6 billion drop on Friday, making her the 22nd-richest person in the world.
Top 10 richest people in the world
- Bernard Arnault: $195.4 billion
- Jeff Bezos: $192.4 billion
- Elon Musk: $179.4 billion
- Bill Gates: $131.6 billion
- Mark Zuckerberg: $128.2 billion
- Larry Page: $115.2 billion
- Larry Ellison: $112.6 billion
- Sergey Brin: $111.5 billion
- Warren Buffett: $101.0 billion
- Francoise Bettencourt Meyers: $92.0 billion