The wine and spirits magazine announced the top 100 wineries of 2020. The list includes wine producers from Argentina, Australia, Austria, Chile, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Hungary, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay, and the United States.
A total number of 36 wineries of the United States were selected for their exceptional performance in the magazine’s tastings this year. These wineries are àMaurice Cellars, Andrew Will, Au Bon Climat, Bergström, Big Table Farm, Calera, Cambria Estate Winery, Chanin, Corison Winery, Cristom Vineyards, DeLille Cellars, Diamond Creek Vineyards, Domaine de la Côte, Domaine Drouhin Oregon, Drew, Duckhorn Vineyards, Gary Farrell Vineyards & Winery, Gramercy Cellars, Hermann J. Wiemer Vineyard, Hirsch, King Estate, Melville Winery, Ovum, Quilceda Creek, Radio-Coteau, Ridge Vineyards, Roederer Estate, Rose & Arrow Estate, Stag’s Leap Wine Cellars, Stags’ Leap Winery, Tablas Creek Vineyard, Terre Rouge, von Strasser Family of Wines, W.T. Vintners, Walter Scott, and Williams Selyem.
Indicative, we selected ten wineries of the list and we present them to you.
- àMaurice Cellars: The business has the tasting room and the estate vineyard at the Walla Walla but also has another tasting room at Woodinville. The vineyard lies at 1475 ft. high on a southwest slope in the valley of Mill Creek. The owners of the vineyard follow sustainable methods of wine growing, paying much attention to the healthy soil. Three wines that earned awards so far are the estate red blend 2017 «Night Owl», the estate 2017 cabernet sauvignon «Owl and Crown» and the 2017 artist «Schafer» blend.
- Calera: The founder of Calera is Josh Jensen, one of California’s wine pioneers. Calera has been honored by Wine & Spirits as one of the «Top 100 Wineries in the World» four times. The Calera winery is located at the Cienega Road, Hollister. It is famous for its Pinot Noir. The site of the winery emphasizes that «it is the perfect wine to enjoy as you spend more time at home»
- Chanin: Chanin Wine Co. crafts wine from Santa Barbara County, where the vineyard is located. The winery focuses on Pinot Noir and Chadornnay. The main characteristic of the winery is that searches out old vines and makes wine from some of the oldest in the country. The winery is located at Lompoc in California
- Domaine de la Cote: The vineyards, located in the far western reach of the Sta, Rita Hills (seven miles from the Pacific Ocean) were planted in 2007. Some of the bottles that the winery offers are the «La Cote», «Bloom’s Field» and the «Memorious».
- Drew: Jason and Moly Drew started Drew in 2000 when they found the right place. An old 26 acre apple orchand within the Mendocino Ridge Appellation. They eventually planted their 7-acre estate Pinot Noir vineyard in 2011 after making the right planning. They currently bottle two estate Pinot Noir bottlings from their estate vineyard on Faite De Mer Farm, along with single vineyard bottlings from the Morning Dew Ranch, the Wendling Vineyard, the Joshua’s Vineyard and the Valenti Ranch. The two estate bottlings include the Estate Field Selections Pinot Noir and the Estate Mid-Slope Pinot Noir. Not to forget to mention that the tasting room is in Anderson Valley, Philo, California.
- King Estate: The Estate was founded in 1991 by the King Family. The winery is in Territorial Hwy, Eugene. In 1994 more than 100 acres of land were planted in Oregon to create the vineyard. The true identity of King Estate wines is further enhanced by the organic winemaking process. Some of the wines offered are the 2008 King Estate Blanc De Gris, the 2008 King Estate 25th anniversary Blanc de Noirs and the 2008 King Estate Blanc de Noirs.
- Radio – Coteau: In 2012, Radio – Coteau acquired a historic 42- acre Estate vineyard located near the town of Occidental in California. The business continues to maintain the established blocks of Syrah and old-vine dry-farmed Zinfandel, and recently replanted existing acreage to Pinot Noir and Chardonnay.
- Rose and Arrow Estate: The winery produces Pinot Noir. The main characteristic of the winery is that the vines are planted in pleats of preserved mother rock. The winery is «hidden» in the hillsides of Willamette Valley, in Western Oregon. Some of the produced wines is the 2017 Stonecreek Amity Hills, the 2017 Black Walnut Worden Hill, and the 2017 Hopewell Hills.
- Terre Rouge: For the second year in a row the winery made the top 100 list of international wineries conducted by Wine and Spirits magazine. The vineyards – located in the Sierra Foothills, in the heart of the Shenandoah Valley, 45 Miles Southeast of Sacramento – are in soils that are largely granite and volcanic-based. The portfolio of the business is composed of wines made from Rhône varietals grown in the rugged and varying terroirs of the region: Syrah, Grenache, Mourvèdre, Viognier, Roussanne, Marsanne.
- Walter Scott: This winery is in Oregon. Erica Landon and Ken Pahlow followed their dream in Willamette Valley. The couple produces Chadornnay and Pinot Noir. At the site of the winery, there is a phrase saying that «it is the details that make the difference between magic and mediocrity».