How would you feel staying in a hotel, founded back to the 1800s? Rooms filled with history, stairs that have been used by the soldiers of the War of the 1812 or balconies that former American Presidents had political conversations with their partners while drinking a hot cup of tea. Here are some of the oldest hotels in the United States.
- The Battle House Hotel, Alabama.
Nowadays, it is known as The Battle House Renaissance Mobile Hotel and Spa. The first building was built in 1852 but unfortunately it was destroyed by a fire in 1905. The current building was built in 1908 and is the second hotel to stand in this location. It is worth mentioning that the first building was built as a military headquarters by Andrew Jackson during the War of 1812. After time to time renovations and takeover plans by prospective buyers the Battle House Hotel re-opened for good in 2009.
- The Alaskan Hotel and Bar, Juneau
It is the oldest operating hotel in Alaska. It was built in 1913 by four men in almost six months during Alaska’s Gold Rush. The hotel is located in the heart of Juneau’s downtown historic district. The town of Juneau used to be a mining camp. Though it had more rooming houses and few hotels. The hotel was built just the year after the state became a US territory.
- The Grand Canyon Hotel, Williams, Arizona
It is the oldest hotel in Arizona. Opened in 1891. It is located two blocks from the train station to the Grand Canyon. Also, it is 62 miles south of the Grand Canyon rim. The hotel features 23 beautiful individually decorated television free rooms and six suites with television.
- The Capital Hotel, Little Rock, Arkansas
The hotel first opened in 1870. It is known as Little Rock’s «front porch», since President Grant stayed as a guest in 1876. It is located across the street from the original Statehouse. The hotel has been the reference point of downtown life in Little Rock for over a century. The main characteristic of this hotel is it’s giant elevator. It is said that it was built so that President Ulysses S. Grant and his horse could fit inside.
- The Murphys Historic Hotel, California
It first opened in the summer of 1856 by James Sperry and John Perry. It was known for many years as the Sperry and Perry Hotel. Many people stayed there looking to see the Calaveras Big Trees, a recently discovered grove of giant sequoias.
- The Cliff House at Pikes Peak, Manitou Springs, Colorado
The hotel evokes an atmosphere of Victorian romance and luxury dating back nearly 150 years. It’s history starts as a stagecoach stop. Though, nowadays is the crown jewel of Manitou Springs. It has 54 beautifully appointed hotel guest rooms and luxury suites , each uniquely decorated in the style of late 1800s.
- The 1754 House Inn and Restaurant, Woodbury, Connecticut
The house first opened in 1754 as an inn. It is surrounded by rolling hills and gorgeous foliage. The main house features two levels with 13 guest rooms, seven with a private bath. Six other guest rooms share two baths, one on each floor. Also, there are offered four guest rooms, each with a private bath.
- The Inn at Montchanin Village, Montchanin, Delaware
In eleven carefully restored buildings dating from 1799, there are 28 guest rooms/suites. It used to be home to laborers who worked at the nearby DuPont powder mills. Not to forget to mention, that it was once a part of the Winterthur Estate and was named for Alexandria de Montchanin, grandmother of the founder of the DuPont Company.
- The Florida House Inn, Fernandina Beach, Florida
It is a vintage one 1857 Inn located in the heart of the historic district of Fernandina Beach. It was first built as a boarding house by David Yulee. He was attempting to build a railroad from Fernandina Beach to Cedar Key. The railroad was almost complete when the Civil War begun and unfortunately, Yulee’s dream never came true. The Inn also housed Union soldiers during the war.
- The River Street Inn, Savannah, Georgia
Three centuries of history surround the River Street Inn. The building was originally used to store cotton, the city’s main export and was built in 1817. In 1998 the River Street Inn expanded from its original structure containing 44 guest rooms into the adjoining building and increased its size to the present 99 rooms.