What would the fashion industry be without photographers? It is the job of a photographer to highlight the nuances of the fashion world through her lens. You cannot be just any photographer; being a fashion photographer requires a keen eye on detail, being a stickler for vision, and encouraging experiments. A professional fashion photographer knows how to capture anyone or anything in a way that draws in the attention of the viewer. Today, many such fashion photographers in the world have worked hard to be where they are and have been credited for defining the very core of the industry.
If I were to write about all of them, this article will not end at all. So, bearing the constraints on the mind, I have shortlisted a few of these great people for our brief discussion. Here are 6 fashion photographers who are at the top of their game.
- Nick Knight: One of the most influential fashion photographers in the world, Nick Knight is a favorite of major fashion magazines and a galaxy of movie stars. He is the founder of the highly acclaimed SHOWstudio.com. His clientele is as glittering as his career and comprises the big names in the fashion world such as British Vogue, Calvin Klein, and Christian Dior. His visionary appeal has also made him a successful music director reflected in the music videos he has directed for the music sensation Lady Gaga and others. The world has been a witness of his marvels as he regularly exhibits his creations in various galleries such as Saatchi Gallery and Gagosian Gallery.
- Richard Avedon: Richard Avedon deserves a place as one of the finest photographers the fashion industry has ever had. He might have left the mortal world in the year 2004 but his legacy remains, as American fashion culture owes a lot to him. Having influenced the way Americans dressed up for at least half a century, Richard Avedon’s accomplishments are nothing short of laudation. His collections have been permanently displayed in several museums across the globe such as Centre Georges Pompidou, Paris; Israel Museum; Jerusalem; and Museum of Modern Art, New York. He has worked with a range of clients such as Christian Dior and Hikaru Utada.
- Herb Ritts: Another photographer whose legacy persists in the international fashion industry, Herb Ritts established his reputation as someone passionate about black and white portraits. His models posed in a typical classical Greek sculpture style that helped him accentuate their bodily appearance. Aside from his photography career, he had directed many music videos such as that of Madonna’s Cherish and Michael Jackson’s In the Closet. Throughout his career, he has photographed many prominent personalities including Mariah Carey, Britney Spears, Naomi Campbell, Cindy Crawford, and Johnny Depp.
- Ellen von unwerth: Inseparable from the Germanic and global fashion world, Ellen von unwerth is a woman of business and fashion. Her feminist approach towards photography has been well-received, with critics appreciating her models as epitome of strength and glamour. She has worked with myriad clients throughout her life, and these clients include Vogue, playboy, and Vanity Fair. She has designed album covers for many music sensations such as Janet Jackson, Britney Spears, Rihanna, and Duran Duran. Her knack for perfection has made her a successful director in the advertisement industry. She is known for directing commercials for high-profile clients such as L’Oreal.
- Helmut Newton: Known for erotic photography, Helmut Newton is known for shooting evocative photographs of his models in black and white. His obsession with black and white has been the main feature throughout his career. He has been associated with Playboy for quite some time and has done photographs of actresses such as Kristine DeBell. He is best known for his “naked and Dressed” collection and “Domestic Nudes” that took his career to a whole new level and made him what he was until his death in the year 2004. During his lifetime, he published many works, and his publications include White Women, They’re Coming!, and Private Property.
- Chris Colls: Chris Colls was born in Australia and soon developed his passion for photography and architecture. In the global fashion industry, he is one of those one should go to if you are on a lookout for a modern shoot. His style has been recognized all over the world, and he has worked with the who’s who in the industry. His magazine clientele includes French Vogue, British Vogue, and Icon Magazine. Other clients of his include Karl Lagerfeld, Lui Jo, Etam, and MaxMara. He is best known for photographing the popular Victoria’s Secret model, Miranda Kerr, with whom he has been collaborating ever since the year 2004.