Bangkok has retained its position as the most visited city around the world for the fourth consecutive year, according to Mastercard’s Global Destination Cities Index (GDCI) 2019. The city welcomed 22.78 million international overnight visitors in 2018. Coming up at numbers 2 and 3 were Paris and London, respectively, with around 19 million international overnight visitors each.
They’re followed by Dubai at number four, Singapore at number five, Kuala Lumpur at number six and New York at number seven. Many of Bangkok’s visitors originate from these top 5 destinations, listed in order: China, Japan, South Korea, India, and the United Kingdom.
Other Asian cities in the Top 10 include Singapore at No. 5 and Kuala Lumpur at No. 6, and Tokyo at No. 9. When looking at the cities by dollar spent, Dubai tops the list with travelers spending $553 per day on average.
The top 20 most-visited cities around the world in 2019
- Bangkok, Thailand: 22.78 million
- Paris, France: 19.1 million
- London, UK: 19.09 million
- Dubai, UAE: 15.93 million
- Singapore: 14.67 million
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: 13.79 million
- New York, US: 13.6 million
- Istanbul, Turkey: 13.4 million
- Tokyo, Japan: 12.93 million
- Antalya, Turkey: 12.41 million
- Seoul, South Korea: 11.25 million
- Osaka, Japan: 10.14million
- Makkah, Saudi Arabia: 10 million
- Phuket, Thailand: 9.89 million
- Pattaya, Thailand: 9.44 million
- Milan, Italy: 9.10 million
- Barcelona, Spain: 9.09 million
- Palma de Mallorca, Spain: 8.96 million
- Bali, Indonesia: million: 8.26 million
- Hong Kong : 8.23 million
Top 20 cities around the world where visitors spend the most cash.
- Dubai, UAE: $30.82 billion
- Makkah (Mecca), Saudi Arabia: $20.09 billion
- Bangkok, Thailand: $20.03 billion
- Singapore: $16.56 billion
- London, UK: $16.47 billion
- New York, US: $16.43 billion
- Paris, France: $14.06 billion
- Tokyo, Japan: $13.77 billion
- Palma de Mallorca, Spain: $12.69 billion
- Phuket, Thailand: $12.01 billion
- Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia: $11.13 billion
- Seoul, South Korea: $9.31 billion
- Santa Cruz de la Palma, Spain: $9.02 billion
- Bali, Indonesia: $8.86 billion
- Istanbul, Turkey: $8.26 billion
- Los Angeles, US: $8.24 billion
- Sydney, Australia: $8.03 billion
- Barcelona, Spain: $7.86 billion
- Miami, US: $7.70 billion
- Antalya, Turkey: $7.65 billion
Have you read?
# Best Film Schools In The World For 2019.
# Best Music Schools In The World For 2019.
# Best Fashion Schools In The World For 2019.
# Best Business Schools In The World For 2019.
# Best Performing Arts Schools In The World, 2019.
The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone and not the CEOWORLD magazine.
We’d like to hear what you think about this or any of our articles. Here’s our email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow The CEOWORLD magazine on Facebook, Twitter (@ceoworld), Instagram, and LinkedIn.