Africa is not the first place to come to your mind when it comes to pursuing higher education. Much of this is due to the widespread ignorance about the African continent, which makes it harder for people to recognize the potential there is.
This may come as a surprise to many of our readers, but Africa does offer many really good Higher Education opportunities. The standards maintained by certain African universities are top-notch and will not disappoint anyone who wants quality. However, in order to know where these opportunities lie, you will have to research—which you barely do when it comes to Africa.
Well, I am here to help you a little in this area. I have compiled a list of 5 universities which can make up for good choices for higher education. These universities have performed exemplarily on various parameters such as teacher-student ratio, access to resources, placement opportunities, and others. So, let us see what they are.
- The University of Cape Town, South Africa: One of the best-known universities from Africa is the University of Cape Town. It is a research-oriented institution which was established in the year 1829 and is the oldest higher education institution in the country. It is presently the highest-ranked university from the entire continent. The University caters to the international population by enabling English as the mode of instruction.
There are many courses offered here, but the best-performing ones are Medicine, Commerce, and Law. You should know that it is the only university from Africa which is part of the Global University Leaders Forum, which is a segment of the World Economic Forum. The University of Cape Town ranked No. 265 in the CEOWORLD magazine’s ranking of the best universities in the world for 2019.
- The University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa: Another university from South Africa which is notable for its contribution to research is the University of the Witwatersrand. It is located in Johannesburg and is widely known as the Wits University.
Founded in the year 1896, the University is one of the oldest universities in the country. It provides admissions to thousands of students every year, many of whom come to pursue undergraduate courses from here. The faculties offered here include Commerce, Engineering, Health Sciences, Science and Humanities. The University of the Witwatersrand raned No. 364 in the CEOWORLD magazine’s ranking of the best universities in the world for 2019.
- Stellenbosch University, South Africa: Clearly, South Africa keeps the best stock on the continent. Stellenbosch University is another stellar mention in the South African Higher Education System. It is a public university dedicated to research and is located in Western Cape. It was founded in the year 1918 and has grown into a sprawling university with time. Presently, it has about 150 departments which have been classed into 10 faculties. Its faculties include Social sciences, theology, engineering, law, Economic and Management, Science, and Education. There are also Military Science, Health Science, and Business School.
- University of KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa: One of the youngest universities in South Africa, the University of KwaZulu-Natal was established in the year 2004 following the merger of the University of Durban-Westville and the University of Natal. It is spread out in 5 campuses in the namesake region. It is known for having produced many well-renowned alumni who have made a name for themselves in public service and innovation. The University comprises 4 colleges which themselves run several schools. These colleges are that of Agriculture, Engineering and Science; Health Sciences; Humanities; and Law and Management Studies. It also runs international collaborations with other universities to provide global exposure to its students.
- Makerere University, Uganda: Making its way to the fifth place in the list is the Makerere University, which is incidentally the largest as well as the oldest higher education institution in the country. It was founded in the year 1922 but became a national university in the year 1970. Today, it is home to thousands of students many of which are undergraduates.
One of the most notable achievements of the university is that it has been home to African leaders most of whom have been presidents in various African states. It was also central to the African nationalist movement and has witnessed the rise of many well-acclaimed writers during that period.
Presently, the University has many colleges such as that of Business and Management Sciences, Natural Sciences, Health Sciences, Law, and Education and External Studies.
Have you read?
# The World’s Best Performing Companies 2019.
# The World’s Safest Cities Ranking, 2019.
# World’s Most Luxurious Hotels, 2019.
# Best Cities In The World For Shopping In 2019.
# Best Law Schools In The World, 2019.