Words are not enough to describe the importance of medicine in the sustenance of mankind. As centuries have passed, countless medical conditions have come into existence with the rise of significant changes like global warming, sedentary lifestyle, stressful urban living, among many others.
With an increase in medical conditions, the demand for medical professionals also has increased. Since its inception in ancient Greek civilization, the medical industry has branched out into several specializations.
So, which medical field should your kid pursue?
The Best Medicine And Healthcare Majors In The World In 2019
- Physical medicine and Rehabilitation: As a result of sedentary work life, the more people have taken to gyms and sports of their choice, where injuries are inevitable. While some injuries are not quite grave and heal by themselves in time, others are grave and need to be dealt with in certain ways for proper recovery.
Apart from the healing aspect of the injury, ligaments, and muscles also need strength conditioning in order to be back to their best condition. The need for professionals in this field is high and one can earn even more for treating professional athletes.
- Psychiatry: According to the American Psychological Association, chronic stress is linked to six leading causes of death: lung diseases, cancer, heart disease, accidents, liver cirrhosis, and suicide. Also, more than 75 percent of all visits to the physician office are for stress-related ailments and complaints. Thus, the need to diagnose and treat mental health issues is high and ever-increasing.
- Dentistry: The cosmetic aspect of more popular, because we all would love to have a million-dollar smile. However, the mouth must be kept hygienic to keep the number of bacteria is in check. Failing to do so could lead to ailments like tooth decay and gum diseases. Poor oral health is linked to several diseases and conditions. Thus, oral health is not just a fancy desire, but a crucial aspect of overall health.
- Pediatrics: Bodies of growing children are different from that of full-grown adults. Pediatrics specialize in diagnosing and treating children with diseases, abnormalities, developmental issues or a disability. In 2018, the infant mortality rate of the US was 5.9 deaths per 1,000 live infant births, whereas that of the OECD countries was 3.9 deaths per 1,000 live infant births. Hence, there is work needed to be done in this medical field.
- Emergency Medicine: There is chaos and panic in the Emergency Room, especially if there are multiple patients in a critical state. These patients need to be immediately treated. Loss of too much time could prove fatal. Emergency medicine professionals are needed to make swift decisions and take appropriate action to treat patients in such cases.
- Dermatology: Apart from the cosmetic aspect of this field, dermatology is a critical medical field related to the health of the largest organ if the body, the skin. In the U.S., one in four people sought treatment for at least one skin disease, and the average person was treated for 1.6 skin diseases on average. Almost half of Americans aged 65 and above have an average of 2.2 skin diseases each.
Assessing skin condition can help identify the actual disease. For example, fingernail pigmentation is an indicator of arsenic poisoning and yellowing of skin indicates liver failure. Among all cancers, Melanoma, a possibly deadly form of skin cancer, is increasing at the fastest rate in the United States. In addition to diagnosing cancer, some dermatologists also specialize in skin cancer removal.
Some more fields you may want to consider are:
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Radiation Oncology
- Internal Medicine
- Allergy & Immunology
Have you read?
# Top 500 Best Universities In The World For 2019.
# World’s Top 50 Universities For Medicine And Health Science Degrees, 2019.
# World’s Top 50 Universities For Life Science Degrees, 2019.
# World’s Top 50 Universities For Physical Science Degrees, 2019.
# World’s Top 50 Universities For Psychology Degrees, 2019.