As 2019 comes to an end many people are getting their New Year’s resolutions in order. One of the most popular resolutions is to “get healthier,” but that can often be easier said than done. For the top CEO’s and business executives, it can be equally difficult and important to adopt healthier lifestyles. If a CEO is out of shape, their company can suffer from their leader not providing enough energy or clear thought.
Getting into shape is often a more complex question than people understand. Every person has a different set of health and wellness conditions, so when it comes to deciding to be healthier, individuals need to reflect on what areas of their life need more attention. Things to look at include diet, physical fitness, mental wellbeing, and general life habits.
These are some of the best ways for executives to start getting in top shape.
- Try Natural Remedies for Mental Illness: Mental illness can take a wide variety of forms and is rising at drastic rates around the world. People can often avoid admitting these problems, but it is far better to admit struggling and find a solution, rather than to bottle it up. While everyone’s struggles are different, often times prescription drugs can fall short offering stable solutions for executives. Whether you are dealing with anxiety, depression, or insomnia, chances are that there is a natural remedy that work just as well at improving your well-being as other traditional options. One of these is CBD, which has recently become legalized via the Farm Bill in December 2018.
- Develop a Strong Diet: One of the most important things for everyone’s health is to maintain a strong diet. This means cutting unhealthy foods out of your diet, including fats and excess sugar, while also avoiding fast food. It can be easy to justify eating these foods every so often, but it is important to avoid these temptations. A doctor or nutritionist can help with these plans if you need special assistance. For instance, if you feel particular tired throughout the day you might have a nutrient deficiency that requires a supplement or special dietary tailoring. Overall, listen to your body and make sure you give yourself the food you need to be effective.
- Go to the Gym 3 Days a Week: While going to the gym daily can be good for many, it is overkill for most people’s needs. In order to simply be healthier and get into better shape, three days of exercise a week will be enough. Alternating days on and off can help allow your body to recover and also helps make it more manageable to get to the gym while maintaining a busy schedule. Many will commit to the goal of working out regularly, but often will not follow through. One of the keys to actually implementing this step is to think through three orders of “why?” First ask why you want to work out more often? It might be to get into better shape, but why do you want that?
That may be to have more energy to be a better CEO. Finally, why do you want that? Being a more energetic CEO will likely make you more successful. Following through those three orders of “why?” will help make your health goal more important and lower chances of quitting.
- Maintain a Strong Work-Life Balance: Perhaps the worst thing you can do for yourself is to work too much. A healthy work-life balance prevents burnout and ensures that when you are working, you are functioning at full capacity. Furthermore, employees will often look to their superiors for an example of what lifestyle choices to make, so an executive that has unhealthy work-life balance can set a bad precedent for the rest of the company. Things that can help improve your work-life balance include setting strong boundaries between your home and work environments. That includes not checking email once you leave the office and not bringing your work tasks into your home. Furthermore, try to find hobbies and friends that you can routinely spend time with to help alleviate any stress from work. This will help give you other things to occupy your mind while you are not at work.
- Add Meditation to Your Routine: Meditation often gets a bad rap as it is associated with passive people. Yet many of the world’s top executives and military personnel use mediation as a means of keeping a level head. ABC News’s Dan Harris wrote a book titled “10% Happier” which outlines how he uses meditation as a way to keep his edge and improve performance. Taking a few minutes each day to clear your head and meditate can be extremely beneficial for your mental wellness. Simply focus on yourself a bit, control your breathing, and think about the emotions going through your head. This is best done in silence with few distractions, but can result in you thinking more clearly day-to-day.
Your health and well-being are the most important things for your long-term success as a CEO. In order to get into the best shape possible, consider new opportunities for improvement that may be uncomfortable, but will help you down the road.
Have you read?
# Best Hotel Credit Cards Of 2019.
# Best Business Travel Agencies In The United States.
# Top 100 Best Executive Search Firms And Consultants That Dominate The Recruiting Business.
# Richest Families In The World, 2018.