Report: Only 546 Among The World’s Top 4000 Most-Cited Researchers Are British
Interestingly, the United Kingdom is littered with the most prestigious and prominent institutions in the sciences, social sciences, engineering, and technology – Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial College London, University College London. Yet, a new report figures that only 546 British are among the world top 1% of the world’s most influential researchers.
Now in its 5th edition, the report published by Clarivate Analytics, listed 4000+ most influential researchers in the world of 2018.
Among the 4,058 researchers named as Highly Cited, more than 80 percent of them are from the ten countries listed in the second table below and 70 percent from the first five.
The United States is home to the highest number of Highly Cited Researchers (HCRs), with 2,639 authors, followed by the United Kingdom (546 authors). China with 482 HCRs is third on the list.
Among institutions, with 186 influential researchers, Harvard University has the highest representation on the list, followed by National Institutes of Health (NIH), Stanford University, Chinese Academy of Sciences, China, and Germany’s Max Planck Society.
Top 10 Institutions With The Most Highly Cited Researchers
- Harvard University, US (186 researchers)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH), US (148 researchers)
- Stanford University, US (100)
- Chinese Academy of Sciences, China (99 researchers)
- Max Planck Society, Germany (76 researchers)
- The University of California Berkeley, US (64 researchers)
- The University of Oxford, UK (59 researchers)
- The University of Cambridge, UK (53researchers)
- Washington University in St Louis, US (51researchers)
- University California Los Angeles(UCLA), US (47 researchers)
Top 10 Countries With The Most Highly Cited Researchers
- United States (2639 researchers)
- United Kingdom (546 researchers)
- China (482 researchers)
- Germany (356 researchers)
- Australia (245 researchers)
- The Netherlands (189 researchers)
- Canada (166 researchers)
- France (157 researchers)
- Switzerland (133 researchers)
- Spain (115 researchers)
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- Unemployment Rate In The United States, Since 1990 - January 18, 2019
- Women’s Labor Force Participation Rate (LFPR) In The United States Since 1990 - January 18, 2019
- Meet The Richest 50 People In Australia By Net Worth For 2019 - January 18, 2019