Why it is Important to Spend Some Time Alone as an Entrepreneur
In a busy world wherein staying socially connected is already a necessity, finding solitude has become an art that is less appreciated. A lot of people think that finding solitude is only an act for lonely, depressed and antisocial people when it is actually not.
Finding solitude and spending time alone is in fact a healthy activity that everyone should take advantage of once in a while most especially for entrepreneurs who are always caught up socializing with customers and clients having less time to spend for their family and themselves. Here is a short list on the different physical and psychological benefits of spending some time alone and how it may impact your business in the long run.
- The best way to reformat your brain and recharge your body is by finding solitude. The brain and body naturally replenish but the progress would be very gradual given the constant stress and environmental factors that affect them. It would be much better if you let them replenish without any form of distraction and this can be done with a clear mind and relaxed body. Finding solitude does those things for you that is why it can be considered as the best way to revitalize your mind and body. Once the mind and body is replenished then you can go back in full focus on your business with renewed vigor.
Whosoever is delighted in solitude is either a wild beast or a god. – Aristotle
- Spending time alone also helps in improving your concentration. If you become better with concentration then that would translate to better productivity. You become more effective and productive if you are capable of removing all distractions through better concentration and solitude gives just that. In the world of business, concentration and focus are very important to make sure your business is on track and all other factors are in place.
Concentration comes out of a combination of confidence and hunger. ― Arnold Palmer
- Just when you think that you already know yourself by now then you’d be surprised to discover new things about yourself once you spend some time alone. You can never discover something new about yourself if you are busy with business, stuck in groups and along with some company most of the time. Spending some time alone would help you discover new characteristics, skills and even talents that you never knew you had. The things you can discover can also be applied to you entrepreneurship.
If you wanted to do something absolutely honest, something true, it always turned out to be a thing that had to be done alone. – Richard Yates
- Solitude is the best time to think over things and ponder about your life. Just take a break from your daily responsibilities and routine in order to accomplish this. Your regular day-to-day activities prohibits you to ponder on deep thoughts and at the same time limits you from coming up with brilliant ideas. Finding solitude is really more of like giving back to yourself after all the hard work that you put through with the ins and outs of business work.
It is good to be solitary, for solitude is difficult; that something is difficult must be a reason the more for us to do it. – Rainer Maria Rilke
- When you spend some time alone, you can easily assess your problems in life and think of solutions for them one by one. When you are in the business world, your mind is crowded by a lot of things and you cannot be able to decipher your thoughts one by one. You can just right away act up on them, the moment your time of solitude and peace is over. No one is safe from problems as everyone have them regardless of status in life that is why this tip could be very helpful.
All man’s miseries derive from not being able to sit quietly in a room alone. – Blaise Pascal
- This next one is pretty ironic but is indeed true. You can actually improve your relationship with other people if you take a step back and spend time alone. You will have a different perspective on things when you are on the outside looking in. You can never experience this when you are with your friends all the time. By spending some time alone, you can assess your relationship with significant people in your life. You can pick up things that you need to change and perhaps you can appreciate your relationship in a different level this time around. This can also be carried over to your relationships with employees who are doing work for you and as well as customers whom you service to at all times.
What a lovely surprise to finally discover how unlonely being alone can be. – Ellen Burstyn
- Spending some time for yourself is not good for business as it can help clear your mind but it is actually great for your overall well-being. It can help promote happy hormones within your body and revitalize organs and cells that need to get detoxification. It might be an indirect manner of helping your business, but it can serve as a great impact to your physical and psychological wellness.
There are many way on how you can be able to spend time for yourself and seek for solitude. You do not really have to go away on vacation in order to do this because even simple habits that let you spend time alone with yourself will already be enough as long as you are kept free from distractions from that time being. Simple practices like yoga or meditation would already be enough. However, if you can afford to spend a vacation away alone then the effect would be much better but the expenses that could go along with it is a lot as well.
The following benefits are big plus for your well-being and for your business. You do not really have to spend big bucks in order to achieve them because it is just a matter of discipline and schedule management. Also, keep in mind that you do not really have to take a week off just to spend time with yourself. You can actually take 15 minutes a day to sit by yourself and find solitude and inner peace. 15 minutes of solitude a day would mean a lot once it becomes a part of your routine. Finding inner peace every now and then can easily spread to people around you. Finding solitude is simply one of the few positive contagions that you can share with other people.
Have you read?
- Style Choices: How to Give Your Customers the Best You Can Offer
- World’s Best Schools For Online MBA Programs, 2017
- How leading tech companies are telling stories with user data
- 7 Habits that Separate Future Leaders from Everyone Else
- 10 Social Engineering Tricks to Establish Your Brand
Written by Emma Miah — helping hand to small and new businesses by sharing her knowledge about creating an effective digital marketing strategy. She also likes to widen the marketing horizons of small and new business by sharing practical and cost-effective advertising ideas.
Latest posts by Emma Miah
- Entrepreneurship Startups: 6 Things You Should Be Doing - May 16, 2017
- Ultimate Cheat Sheet on How To Start A Catering Business From Home - April 18, 2017
- Why it is Important to Spend Some Time Alone as an Entrepreneur - February 16, 2017