If you’ve been to the taverna in Mykonos, done Maldives, and enjoyed the wine tasting in Majorca, consider the little-known Palawan, one of 7,107 islands belonging to the Philippines.
Interestingly, Palawan seems to enjoy raking in several awards for its tourism these days. Just recently, Palawan was chosen as the best island in the world by the readers of an award-winning US travel magazine.
Palawan was selected as the “Top Island in the World” based on over 76,600 votes. The other contenders were Santorini & Skiathos in Greece, Bora Bora, British Virgin Islands, Menorca, and Maldives.
The magazine mentioned that Palawan’s natural wonder, the Puerto Princesa Subterranean River (nearly 5 miles in length), is one of the longest underground rivers in the world — chosen as one of the New7Wonders of Nature.
Meanwhile, Kiawah Island, South Carolina ranked at No. 2 on the list of Top 30 Islands in the World: Readers’ Choice Awards, compiled by Condé Nast Traveler.
Not surprisingly, other islands on the list were Kiawah Island, South Carolina; Maui, Hawaii; Kauai, Hawaii; Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique; Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands, Australia; Santorini and Cyclades, Greece; St. John, US Virgin Islands; Kangaroo Island, Australia; and Big Island, Hawaii in 2nd to 10th place, respectively.
Puerto Princesa Underground River (PPUR), a Unesco World Heritage Site, was chosen as one of the world’s New Seven Wonders of Nature, together with Halong Bay, the Amazonia, Table Mountain, Jeju Island, Komodo Island, and Iguazu Falls.
“Palawan’s natural wonder is one of the longest underground rivers in the world, traveling five miles through a subterranean cave system. Guided boat tours take visitors down a portion of the waterway, where karsts, natural rock formations created by dissolving limestone, loom in every direction,” the magazine said.
Here are the top 10 ISLANDS IN THE WORLD
1. Palawan Island, Philippines
2. Kiawah Island, South Carolina
3. Maui, Hawaii
4. Kauai, Hawaii
5. Bazaruto Archipelago, Mozambique
6. Great Barrier Reef and Whitsunday Islands, Australia
7. Santorini and Cyclades, Greece
8. St. John, US Virgin Islands
9. Kangaroo Island, Australia
10. Big Island, Hawaii
Palawan Island in the Philippines
1. Check Out The 10 Best Cities And Countries In The World To Visit In 2015: Travel Guide
2. You’ve been hacked – Now What?
3. Discover The 100 Brands With The Most Loyal Customers For 2014
4. Why Derivatives Contracts Are Threatening Your Business
5. How Pensioners Plan To Spend Their Retirement: Top 40 Life ambitions For Over-65s?
Follow me on Facebook: @amarendrab & Twitter: @ceoworld.