And it turned out, the Art Institute of Chicago has been named the top museum in the world and in the United States by TripAdvisor, a travel review site: Best. Damn. Museum. Period.
Or, more precisely, the Art Institute of Chicago, is the winner of the travel site’s “Traveler’s Choice Award.”
The National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City #2, State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace in St. Petersburg #3, the Getty Center in LA #4, and the Galleria dell’Accademia in Florence were among the top five museums on the list.
Additionally, my favorite museum of all time, the Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece also made the cut: Acropolis Museum ranked 8th best museum on planet earth. That’s right!
Top 10 museum in the world.
1. Art Institute of Chicago.
111 South Michigan Avenue, Chicago, Illinois 60603-6404
2. National Museum of Anthropology (Museo Nacional de Antropologia), Mexico City
Av Paseo de la Reforma y Calzada Gandhi S/N, Chapultepec Polanco, 11560 Ciudad de México, Federal District, Mexico.
3. State Hermitage Museum and Winter Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia
St Petersburg, Russia
4. The Getty Center, Los Angeles
5. Galleria dell’Accademia/Statue of David, Florence, Italy
6. Musee d’Orsay, Paris
7. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
8. The Acropolis Museum, Athens, Greece
9. Prado Museum, Madrid, Spain
10. Yad Vashem Holocaust Memorial, Jerusalem
TOP TEN IN US
1. Art Institute of Chicago, Chicago, Illinois
2. The Getty Center, Los Angeles, California
3. The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York City, New York
4. The National WWII Museum, New Orleans, Louisiana
5. National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.
6. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, Washington, D.C.
7. USS Midway Museum, San Diego, California
8. Chihuly Garden and Glass, Seattle, Washington
9. Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum, Tucson, Arizona
10. Newseum, Washington, D.C.
Award winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews for museums worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.