How do you feel about licensing BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system?
BlackBerry smartphone maker, Research in Motion could license its mobile operating system to other manufacturers including a sale of its smartphone hardware unit. How do you feel about BlackBerry smartphone maker RIM mobile operating system licensing (BlackBerry 10)? Or, should RIM decide to sell its smartphone hardware division business?
Let’s wait and see.
Company has also renamed its BlackBerry App World webstore to “BlackBerry World,” ahead of the launch of BlackBerry 10 devices. RIM is undoubtedly playing catch-up with iOS, Android, and Windows Phone. RIM is scheduled to launch BlackBerry 10 at the end of January, which is expected to compete against Apple’s (AAPL) iPhone and Samsung’s Galaxy devices.
The Waterloo, Ontario-based company hired JPMorgan Chase & Co. (JPM) and RBC Capital Markets in May to help it evaluate options.
Who would actually use the BlackBerry 10 mobile operating system?
- Samsung — NO — As they are using Android, and have Windows Phone in reserve too.
- Nokia — NO — As they are using Windows Phone
- Motorola — NO — have it’s in-house operating systems
- Apple — NO — have it’s in-house operating systems
- HTC — maybe — As they have tried almost everything else, does not have enough cash to make transition like Nokia managed from Symbian to Windows Phone.
- Smaller manufacturers — NO (90% chances and 10% chances maybe) — happy with off the shelf versions of Android
Interestingly, Google’s Android operating system already dominates the market.
RIM President and Chief Executive Officer Thorstein Heins made the remarks in an interview with newspaper Die Welt, that the company will consider strategic alliances after the BlackBerry 10 devices launches, including a possible sale of hardware production or software licenses… This is a crucial moment and milestone for Research in Motion,” Heins told Die Welt.
“We are a relatively young industry. In the smartphone market, which is growing fast, so there is still plenty of room. It will be shown at some point, how many systems the market can bear. I’m assuming that we’ll play with BlackBerry 10 is not just a role. I think our role will be substantial,”
“The main thing for now is to successfully introduce Blackberry 10. Then we’ll see,” Thorstein Heins told the paper in a lengthy Q&A.
DON’T MISS: Hit List
- Do you think new BlackBerry 10 will be enough to pull Research In Motion out of its smartphone funk?
With the first BlackBerry 10, the struggling smartphone maker, Research In Motion (RIM) hopes will turn its fortunes around, in a smartphone market largely dominated by the iOS and Android. Research I…
- India’s Mindtree to launch Google’s Android platform with 3G networks smartphone in US
India IT services firm MindTree Ltd (MINT) is getting ready to launch its first smartphone in United States by the second half of this fiscal year. This smartphone, which will run on Google’s (GOOG) A…
- No more porn sites in BlackBerry mobiles- Indonesia
Last week, Indonesia, world’s most populous Muslim nation, threatened to revoke BlackBerry’s license to operate in the nation unless it filtered out porn. Ont.-based Research in Motion Ltd. (RIM) res…
- Can much-anticipated next-generation mobile operating system BlackBerry 10 smartphones deliver on its promise?
Research In Motion had been struggling to comeback for last few years, the company’s now planning to introduce the first two of its much-anticipated BlackBerry 10 smartphones worldwide on Jan. 30. RI…
- How extensive the changes are in rebranded RIM App World Web Storefront: BlackBerry World?
The beleaguered smartphone manufacturer, RIM has announced a name change for its BlackBerry App World web Storefront, BlackBerry App World is now simply called “BlackBerry World”. It will be the one-s…
A journalist, author and serial entrepreneur- Founder and CEO of CEOWORLD Magazine and Lucentbyte Media Technologies LTD. (firstname.lastname@example.org)