Social networking giant, Facebook with 900 million users, is launching a new Facebook App Center, “a place where developers can showcase their apps and user can find best social web, desktop, and mobile apps” — and not just Facebook apps. So what does Facebook get out of the deal?
More than 200 apps are now integrated with Facebook, and each has more than 1 million active users.
Aaron Brady at Facebook announced that company will open an App Center, the upcoming new App Center “gives developers an additional way to grow their apps and creates opportunities for more types of apps to be successful.” Indeed, “For the over 900 million people that use Facebook, the App Center will become the new, central place to find great apps like Draw Something, Pinterest, Spotify, Battle Pirates, Viddy, and Bubble Witch Saga,” Brady said.
Mike Isaac at AllThingsD said of the new App Center, “This is a big deal for building out the future of the platform. Part of what will determine just how much time users spend inside Facebook is the amount of content they have to play around with, and the company relies on outside developers for that. The unveiling of the Open Graph at Facebook’s F8 developer conference last year was the first step in this direction, making it easier for third-party developers to fully integrate their applications into the Facebook ecosystem. Then came the different verbs with appropriate apps — like ‘Listening’ with Spotify and ‘Watching’ with Netflix — broadcasting user activities across Facebook, thereby upping the potential for others to try out those third-party apps.”
Facebook has created an App Center guidelines page which spells out submission and eligibility criteria.
- An app on Facebook.com in a canvas page
- A mobile app built for the web, iOS or Android that uses Facebook Login
- A website that uses Facebook Login and has an immediately logged-in, personalized experience (see App Quality for more info)
- An App for Pages built to manage or enhance other companies’ Facebook Pages
If you are a developers, iyou can read more over at the Facebook Developers Blog.
Until the Facebook App Center goes live to the users, here’s a roundup of hottest Facebook Timeline apps. I have also compiled a list of phenomenal People In Tech To Follow On Facebook. Image courtesy of the Facebook Developer Blog
Latest posts by Bettina Padurano (see all)
- The Hottest CEO In The Business World: Sexiest Chief Executives - December 5, 2013
- Basis Science, Startup Behind The Basis Health-Tracking Wristwatch, Raises An Additional $11.75M - October 8, 2013
- Kim Dotcom Has Stepped Down As Director Of Mega File-Storage Startup - September 4, 2013