Facebook to boost its smartphone experience with Glancee
It seems world’s largest social network, Facebook is planning to boost its smartphone experience with mobile offerings. Following its buy of Instagram, company has further fattened its mobile portfolio by acquiring Glancee, a location-based, “social discovery” that shows users when Facebook friends, friends-of-Facebook-friends and people with similar interests are nearby.
Glancee, founded in 2010, includes three co-founders, Andrea Vaccari, Alberto Tretti and Gabriel Grise. Facebook said in a statement, “We can’t wait for co-founders Andrea, Alberto, and Gabriel to join the Facebook team to work on products that help people discover new places and share them with friends.”
On its website, the Glancee team writes:
We started Glancee in 2010 with the goal of bringing together the best of your physical and digital worlds. We wanted to make it easy to discover the hidden connections around you, and to meet interesting people. Since then Glancee has connected thousands of people, empowering serendipity and pioneering social discovery.
We are therefore very excited to announce that Facebook has acquired Glancee and that we have joined the team in Menlo Park to build great products for over 900 million Facebook users. We’ve had such a blast connecting people through Glancee, and we truly thank our users for being a part of the Glancee community.
DON’T MISS: Hit List
- Top Most Powerful Women in Social Media 2013
- Do you think Cory Booker and Eric Schmidt, #Waywire, Social Video Startup, will reach critical mass as a news discovery tool?
- Do We Need Social Media Policies To Control Employees Activities on Facebook and Twitter?
- Is it a good idea that Instagram is joining its data to Facebook’s?
- Do you think Snapchat will be the next big thing like Instagram and Pinterest?
- Incredibly simple and useful: Facebook Adds Weather Info
- How much would you pay to send a personal Message to Facebook Chief Executive Mark Zuckerberg?
- So now Facebook can insist German users to register with their real name: infographic
- How many recruiters adopting social media into their recruitment process [Social Recruiting INFOGRAPHIC 2013]?
- Has Facebook started charging its users to send messages to high profile users and celebrities?
- How a marketing genius like Randi Zuckerberg was entangled in a privacy mess?
- Why Mark Zuckerberg Agreed to Pay $10 Million To Charity?
A journalist, author and serial entrepreneur- Founder and CEO of CEOWORLD Magazine and Lucentbyte Media Technologies LTD. (email@example.com)