Is Facebook preparing to throw itself into VoIP market?
It has been speculated that Social networking site Facebook may be working on a new voice calling feature, preparing to throw itself into the middle of the software VoIP market. At this point it’s not clear if Facebook is planning an in house VoIP solution, or they’re working with a third-party company like Skype to help them integrate voice functionality into the Facebook interface. In September, rumours began to speculate on a Facebook and Skype partnership.
A number of users discovered that a call button appeared on friends user profiles along with the options to chat, poke and send a message. When the call button was pressed a dialogue box opened saying “calling… friend name…”.
Facebook is also rumored to be in the IPO pipeline for later this year. With this new feature, they could take market share away from Skype as they would than turn into a one stop shop for all social media connections. This could help give them a boast going into the IPO.
The only question is that Skype has a large business clientele and Facebook is still looked at as a social meeting place. Will the business people make the switch or will they choose to keep with Skype?
DON’T MISS: Hit List
- Facebook likes: a fresh concerns about privacy and online personalization
- Saudi Arabia threatening to block Skype, WhatsApp, VOIP and messaging services ban
- Do you think Snapchat will be the next big thing like Instagram and Pinterest?
- Microsoft follows online heavyweights Google and Twitter: Law Enforcement Requests Report
- Top Most Powerful Women in Social Media 2013
- How Facebook is a step closer to replacing old-fashioned cellular voice and texting plans?
- List of Truly Awful Outdated and Overused Tech Phrases and Expression on the World Wide Web
- Social media for executives, a risky, high-speed word-of-mouth machine
- Is Facebook Considering On Incorporating Hashtags Functionality?
- Do you think It’s time Microsoft-owned Skype to come clean on security and privacy practices?
- Do you think Graph Search is necessary, not sufficient, for Facebook’s success?
- Incredibly simple and useful: Facebook Adds Weather Info
A journalist, author and serial entrepreneur- Founder and CEO of CEOWORLD Magazine and Lucentbyte Media Technologies LTD. (email@example.com)