It comes as no surprise to me that two North Carolina beaches have ranked as the best beaches in the United States for 2018, according to coastal sciences professor Dr. Beach. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach on Ocracoke Island was rated second and Lighthouse Beach, in Buxton, also part of the Outer Banks, placed in sixth.
Kapalua Bay Beach in Maui ranked No. 1 for the best beach in the United States, while Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle ranked No. 3. Rounding out the top five Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York and Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Stephen P. Leatherman, also known as Dr. Beach, is professor and director of the Laboratory for Coastal Research at Florida International University. He uses 50 criteria to compile the list, such as water and sand quality to amenities.
The 10 best beaches in the United States for 2018
1. Kapalua Bay Beach, Maui, Hawaii
2. Ocracoke Lifeguarded Beach, Outer Banks, North Carolina
3. Grayton Beach State Park, Florida Panhandle
4. Coopers Beach, Southampton, New York
5. Coast Guard Beach, Cape Cod, Massachusetts
6. Lighthouse Beach, Buxton, Outer Banks, North Carolina
7. Caladesi Island State Park, Dunedin/Clearwater, Florida
8. Hapuna Beach State Park, Big Island, Hawaii
9. Coronado Beach, San Diego, California
10. Beachwalker Park, Kiawah Island, South Carolina
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- The 10 Best Cities To Live In The United States, 2018 Ranking - September 21, 2018
- Why CEOs of Companies Have a Habit of Reading Books? - September 20, 2018
- Report: The Least (And The Most) Diverse States In The U.S. For 2018 - September 19, 2018