There are quite a few rich people in the world. Some of them are extremely wealthy, as the number of billionaires has reached the all team peak of 2,043 this year.
If you count millionaires as well, there are more than 13 million very rich people in the world. However, none of these affluent persons attracts as much attention as Bill Gates.
The world’s richest man is constantly in everybody’s focus. Journalists follow every step he takes, analysts predict his future moves, while lifestyle coaches talk about the books he reads or the music he listens to.
There are tons of articles dedicated to his path to success, daily habits, and business plans. It can really make you wonder what the secret of his success and popularity is. We will use this article to try to explain the Bill Gates phenomena.
Who is Bill Gates?
You must have read one of many Bill Gates’ biographies, so we’ll cut the long story short. Here are only the most essential facts about him:
- William Henry Gates III was born in Seattle in 1955
- He wrote his first computer program at the age of 13
- Gates joined the Harvard University in 1973 but he left it the following year in pursuit of programming career
- In 1975, Gates and his partner Paul Allen founded Microsoft
- He became a billionaire in 1987 and gradually turned Microsoft into the world’s largest software company
- Married to Melinda Ann French since 1994 and has three children
- His wealth grew steadily to $88.8 billion in 2017
His life is obviously a genuine business fairytale. Gates became both rich and famous due to his persistence, intelligence, ability to quickly adapt to changes on the market, but also thanks to his competitive spirit. He is the best example of what experts from Aussiewritings.com once said: “Success is the feature of passionate, innovative, and self-confident people. Such persons don’t get intimidated by challenges. They solve problems and move on instead.”
What makes him so popular?
A sole fact that Bill Gates is the richest man in the world doesn’t explain his global popularity. We present you here five elements that make his so prominent and famous.
- IT is a fast growing business that has appeared relatively recently and Bill Gates was one of its originators. Experts predict that IT market will reach the value of $2,461 billion by 2019. This result could not be possible if Gates didn’t launch one of the largest companies in history and developed hundreds of groundbreaking products.
The guy almost single-handily initiated an entire revolution that changed the way we live, work, think, and communicate. And Bill Gates himself is definitely the most appropriate person to explain what this revolution brought to the world: “I think it’s fair to say that personal computers have become the most empowering tool we’ve ever created. They’re tools of communication, they’re tools of creativity, and they can be shaped by their user.”
- Bill Gates is not only the most successful businessman. He is also a fascinating person and is often deemed to be a smart genius with an interesting mindset. He used to attract attention of people around him even when he was just a boy. Namely, Gates knew some programming languages better than his high-school teachers, which was a miracle sui generis.
Popular culture always worshiped child prodigies and geniuses, developing a strong admiration towards the most influential scientists. From Albert Einstein in early 20th century to Bill Gates one century after that, public opinion has talked about these contemporary heroes. Once again, no one could describe the influence of genius better than Gates: “Be nice to nerds. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.”
- Incredible amount of people uses Windows on a daily basis and they are all probably aware of the fact that it’s the product created by Bill’s company Microsoft. For instance, more than 400 million devices are currently running Windows 10. At the same time, more than 1.2 billion people in 140 countries use Microsoft Office. That basically means that approximately 20% of all people in the world use one or more of his products!
Imagine how important is the man who practically enables a large part of the world to conduct everyday tasks. Therefore, his popularity is immense. And Bill Gates also knows how big a deal this is: “I failed in some subjects in exam, but my friend passed in all. Now he is an engineer in Microsoft and I am the owner of Microsoft.”
- One way or another, Bill Gates is one of the richest people in the world. Or to be more precise, he is the wealthiest man alive! He is the member of the Forbes’ list of wealthiest persons for decades and usually resides at number one position.
To be completely honest, money plays a crucial role in modern world and it always grabs public attention. So you can probably imagine how much attention Gates has been attracting all these years. And he never hesitated to say that it was one of his life goals. The founder of Microsoft considers wealth a natural consequence of professional success and strongly believes that he controls his destiny: “If you are born poor it’s not your mistake. But if you die poor it’s your mistake.”
- Bill Gates deserved a lot of attention because he is so passionate about what he is doing. Even though he is the richest man on Earth, you probably won’t ever see him wasting time on trivial things in life such as new clothes every day or dozens of expensive cars. The reason is simple – Gates really believes in what he is doing and his passion is so obvious.
Therefore, he doesn’t skip work days and always thinks about improving his business. He is not thinking about money-making anymore. Instead, he is creating new ways to improve his IT products. And he described it very well on one occasion: “I never took a day off in my twenties. Not one. And I’m still fanatical, but now I’m a little less fanatical.”
Bill Gates is one of those rare people who truly changed the world. His brilliance and hard work brought him to the status of the wealthiest person on Earth but it also pointed public attention in his direction. Gates really proved that his readiness to work, passion for business, and huge motivation made him one of the most popular personalities of the last few decades. Bill Gates is not a movie or music celebrity but he is a true superstar of modern civilization.
Written by: Olivia is a journalist who is always ready to experience new things and share this experience with others. She is passionate about art and writing, therefore she usually spends time writing new articles or travelling around the World.