Which European educational institutions are doing the most to advance science and invent new technologies, which help drive an improved global economy?
The most dynamic and innovative university in Europe?
The world’s oldest Catholic university, Belgium’s KU Leuven has been ranked as the most innovative in Europe in the Reuters Top 100: Europe’s Most Innovative Universities ranking.
Four UK educational institutions have been rated among the top 20 most innovative universities in Europe.
Imperial College London, the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford, and the University of Manchester place in 2nd, 3rd, 10th, and 16th position respectively.
Germany, meanwhile, has the most universities on the list – 23 in total – while the United Kingdom and France place second, each with 17 ranked institutions.
Top 50 most innovative universities in Europe:
- KU Leuven, Belgium
- Imperial College London, United Kingdom
- University of Cambridge, United Kingdom
- Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Federal Polytechnic School of Lausanne, Switzerland
- University of Erlangen Nuremberg, Germany
- Pierre & Marie Curie University – Paris, France
- Delft University of Technology, Netherlands
- University of Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Zurich, Switzerland
- University of Munich, Germany
- University of Copenhagen, Denmark
- Technical University of Denmark, Denmark
- University of Montpellier, France
- University of Manchester, United Kingdom
- Leiden University, Netherlands
- Free University of Berlin, Germany
- Ghent University, Belgium
- University of Paris Descartes – Paris, France
- University of Dundee, United Kingdom
- University of Paris Sud – Paris, France
- University of London, United Kingdom
- University of Freiburg, Germany
- University of Basel, Switzerland
- Dresden University of Technology, Germany
- Ruprecht Karl University Heidelberg, Germany
- Johannes Gutenberg University of Mainz, Germany
- University of Strasbourg, France
- Charité Medical University of Berlin, Germany
- Grenoble Institute of Technology, France
- Erasmus University Rotterdam, Netherlands
- Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- University of Aix-Marseille, France
- Cardiff University, United Kingdom
- University of Claude Bernard – Lyon, France
- Free University of Brussels, Belgium
- Polytechnic University of Milan, Italy
- University of Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Technical University of Berlin, Germany
- University of Bordeaux, France
- Grenoble Alpes University, France
- Karlsruher Institute of Technology, Germany
- Ecole Polytechnique, France
- University of Oslo, Norway
- University of Paris Diderot – Paris, France
- Vrije University of Brussels, Belgium
- Saarland University, Germany
- University of Utrecht, Netherlands
The innovative universities list was compiled using 10 different metrics, including academic papers, which indicate basic research and patent filings.