The Business Case for Access Management
The organizational case for access management has become overwhelming. While overlooked in the past, the IT solutions including identity and access governance software now is becoming foundational to security, compliance, access and information management.
No matter the size of the company, small or large, businesses frequently maintain that they have identity and access management issues, leaving themselves open to security flaws, as well as handling copious password issues. No matter the size of the business, many businesses often do not have the staff and resources readily available to easily handle helpdesk tasks, nor do they take the time to invest in such solutions, so that they either go unaddressed or require more time and money than is necessary.
The following are some of the top issues that businesses face because of or with IAM solutions, and how to easily mitigate them:
Employees, no matter how many work within the organization, often have many sets of credentials needed when logging into their applications to perform their jobs. One of the most widely used ways to remember credentials is to write them down — user names and passwords — and store them somewhere near their desks causing a security risk.
An easy way for business to reduce the need for multiple passwords for their employee’s account management and to ensure the security of their systems is by employing a single sign-on solution. With such technology, employees only are required to remember one set of credentials. This means they enter their single user name and password just one time and are automatically signed into all applications and systems once they are opened.
Ensuring Sensitive Data is Secure
Businesses often are faced with attempting to secure sensitive data and information. Thus, security and ease of access can be found through the use of a single sign-on solution partnered with a two-factor authentication technology. Doing so allows businesses to add another layer of security to systems and applications. Two-factor authentication is used by requiring users to present a smart card, as well as a PIN code, to access certain systems. This ensures that the person logging in is who they claim to be.
Efficient Password Resets
When an employee forgets his password, or is locked out of an application, he usually needs to go through the time-consuming process of resetting his passwords. While most businesses may have the proper help desk in place, they may not have the resources to handle 24×7 issues. And, focusing on password resets, for example, can take away from the department’s time of dealing with other issues.
A self-service reset password solution provides the ability for users to easily and securely reset passwords themselves. A simple solution in which users simply register by providing answers to a few personal questions then when they need to reset their password they simply click the “Forgot my password” button, provide the correct answers and are able to reset their password without having to contact anyone else at the company.
By implementing one or all of the solutions they are able to reduce the amount of time the IT staff spends dealing with these issues, and do not need to have an employee working full time to handle them, thus drastically reducing administrative costs.
Have you read?
So, What’s Next After Employee Engagement Survey?
These Nationalities Have The Best Quality Of Life In The World, 2016
The Top 20 Schools With The Best STEM Programs In America For 2016
The 10 best islands in the world in 2016, according to holidaymakers
Written by: Dean Wiech.
You may also be interested in:
- Top 20 most admired and reputable countries in the world, 2015 list Interestingly, for the 4th time in 6 years, Canada has been named as the most reputable nation in the world, according to a new report by the Copenhagen-based research and advisory firm […] Posted in Leadership
- Top 20 most & least LGBT-friendly colleges and universities in the U.S., 2015 Emerson College in Boston has been named the most lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and questioning-friendly college or university, according to the Princeton Review's survey of the most […] Posted in Leadership, Rankings, Perspective, Growth Leaders, CEO Insider
- Sina Corp (SINA) launches $301 million developer fund for its Twitter-like microblog, Weibo Sina Corp (SINA), a leading Chinese online media services provider, launched $301 million fund for developers to create applications for its highly popular Twitter-like microblog, Weibo […] Posted in Rankings
- Which Countries Have The Highest Rates Of Sex Satisfaction, Plus Sex On A Weekly Basis? Did you know that Greece tops the list of having the most sex on a weekly basis? Or that Just over half of people in the United States have weekly sex? Or that Greeks are only 51% […] Posted in Rankings
- 2016 EU Survey Reveals What European CEOs Fear The Most It may come as no surprise that "economic or financial collapse" is the greatest fear most European CEOs have, according to a new study by the CEOWORLD magazine.Confidence is at a low […] Posted in Education
- Made-in-China UC Browser For Android Tablets Allows You To Seamlessly Switch Between Regular And Incognito Browsing UC Browser, popular Chinese-made Opera-like browser, has updated its version for Android-based tablets and added a built-in video player, which will now let you play videos from the point […] Posted in Rankings
Dean has worked with businesses, educational entities and municipalities for more than 20 years, helping them identify solutions that make their businesses and operations more secure, efficient and easier to manage. He is responsible for Tools4ever's U.S. operations and has written dozens of articles about identity and access management, security, IT audits, strategy, BYOD, the cloud and managing IT solutions for small businesses to enterprise systems.
Latest posts by Dean Wiech (see all)
- Make Life Easier for Your System Administrators - 08/24/2016
- The Business Case for Access Management - 08/05/2016
- Empower Employees with Productivity through Automated Access and Workflows - 05/24/2016