20 Tips: How Can I Communicate Better At Work?
Talking to colleagues feels like it should be the easiest thing in the world, but we’ve all been caught in moments when we’ve not known how to navigate a conversation – or regretted that we failed to motivate an employee to achieve their best work. In fact, communication is a skill like any other, and while some may have an innate talent for the ‘tough talk’ there are always more strategies and techniques you can take onboard.
Like any work meeting, your work-oriented conversation will benefit from preparation: be sure what your point is, and what you want to come out of the conversation – but also prepare yourself mentally to listen and to adapt. This is a team situation, after all. Make a list of any questions you need answered, and if confidence is an issue for you then try to recall some previous successes in your mind before you enter the room.
Be sure to speak clearly and slowly – this will help the other party to understand you, as well as aiding your own confidence and air of authority. Structure your points with concise descriptions, and sum it up when you’ve finished to ensure the conversation stays on track – you might even consider asking them to recap your points, so you know that you’ve been understood. Then it’s time to take a step back and listen. Prepare questions as they talk, but wait until they’re finished rather than interrupting. You can often learn more about a person or situation by letting them run to the end of their steam.
Communication is about thinking, about empathy, and also about a physical situation – your body posture, breath and eye contact all play in role in keeping each of you alert and engaged. For a few more tips on how to hone the body language element of your communication – and to fine-tune the aspects mentioned above – be sure to check out this new infographic, which comes with a step-by-step guide to ensuring your workplace communication remains top notch.
The infographic below was compiled by NetCredit. Tips for effective workplace communication infographic.
You may also be interested in:
- Are you a Junk Mail? Recently, I got really fed up with junk mail, so I now have a notice in my window requesting that I not have any more delivered through the door. The same goes for cold callers to whom I […] Posted in Leadership
- What is a High-Performance Organisation? Recent research provides new insights on High-Performance Organisations and how these can be applied. Not surprisingly, the research confirms that psychology and culture are the most […] Posted in Leadership
- List of Most Favorite 15 Cities To Live in U.S. If you are looking for breathtaking architecture, beautiful parks and gardens, fun, food, ease, affordability, world-class museums or vibrant nightlife, and more! One out of every three […] Posted in Rankings
- Most Beautiful, Sexiest and Hottest Japanese Women- Japan Today i showcase you Most Beautiful, Sexiest and Hottest Japanese Women- Japan in our country list. CEOWORLD’s list of the Top Women ranks the famous females who you consider to be top […] Posted in Leadership
- Utilizing Root Cause Analysis In Business And Management To Solve Problems And Improve the Business Have you ever questioned or wondered why some issues, problems and challenges do not seem to improve or get better? This is almost similar to throwing darts at a dart board and never […] Posted in CEO Insider
- America’s 22 Best Universities For 2017: Princeton, Harvard, UChicago, And Yale Tops Princeton takes No. 1 spot on the list of best universities in America, according to the U.S. News' annual Best Colleges rankings for 2017, comparing more than 1,800 U.S. based […] Posted in Rankings