Empower Employees with Productivity through Automated Access and Workflows
If you work in a corporate office, you probably understand the annoyance of making requests of any kind, whether it be for access or resources. It needs to be directed to the correct department, probably IT, and then possibly forwarded to a manager for approval. During this process, the user sits idle waiting often for a couple of days for the change to be made. This not only makes employees nonproductive, it also makes them less than excited about the project that they are working on.
Think of how many processes your company still performs manually or via paper. Probably not too many. Then why is the access and resource request process still manual? Several studies have shown that inefficient or older technologies hinder employee’s morale and efficiency. Employees get discouraged and annoyed waiting for processes and technology to work and are not as excited for projects they are working on. One study showed that technology that assists with productivity “is expected to rise by further 22 percent in the next seven years.” This is because organizations have seen the benefits of implementing newer technology which empowers their employees.
There is an easy way to allow your employees to be more productive and empower them to take charge on projects and resolve their own issues. Many organizations have been implementing workflow management applications. These types of solutions allow employees to access a portal where they can request any changes, access rights or additional resources easily. The request is then automatically routed to the correct person who can either approve or deny the request. If needed, the request can also be routed to another manager or superior for additional security. After the request is approved, the change is automatically carried out. While it is obvious this process is extremely easy and efficient, here are three other main benefits.
The easier you make the process for your employees, the more likely they are to work harder on their projects. Think about a project that you are very excited to start working on. Your manager allows you to be the lead on the project and you are excited to show how well you can carry it out and accomplish the goals set in place. Then you realize you need access to a few databases and applications, and need to contact a few different people in various departments to get the access you need. You may need to wait around for it to be approved and have to follow up to make sure it is being processed. This puts you behind and you begin to feel less motivated and excited about the project.
A workflow system allows employees to easily make a request and receive, for example, the access they need to complete a project. Allowing employees to complete the request themselves also empowers them to proactively work on projects and fix their issues. They no longer need to sit and wait around not knowing how long it is going to take for the change to be made.
Allow Managers to Not Deal with the Request Headache
Managers as well feel the stress of this process. They need to answer the emails for requests and make sure they answer the appropriate person with the information needed to create the account or get the resource for the employee. The employee often also needs to check up on the request, and track down the manager to get an update on the progress.
Workflow allows the employee to easily see the progress of their request and will be notified once it is either accepted or rejected.
Ensure Security Easily
While it is easily seen how a workflow solution can improve efficiency, it also has longer term benefits such as increased security. Tracking any kind of information for an audit is time consuming and tedious. This process ensures that the correct person is giving permission to the resource. All of these requests are also tracked so that it can also be used for an audit or to track who has access to what. Even if the manager denies the request, the process is logged.
These are only some of the many benefits which a workflow solution provides. Overall, organizations can easily allow their employees to be proactive, motivated, and extremely efficient.
By Dean Wiech.
You may also be interested in:
- Radioplayer Launches New Tablet-Optimized Version Of Its Mobile App In an attempt to build on its growing user base, UK Internet radio service Radioplayer has launched a completely redesigned and tablet-optimized version of its mobile app. Radioplayer is a […] Posted in Leadership
- The Top 50 Richest countries in the world Gulf state Qatar has been named as world's richest country in a study by the Global Finance Magazine, which ranked countries by their wealth according to their GDP per capita in 2013. […] Posted in Leadership
- Meet The 4 Indian Women Featured On Forbes “100 Most Influential Women” List 4 Indian women have made it to Forbes' list of world's 100 most powerful women, sharing the honour with high-achievers such as German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Hillary Clinton and Melinda […] Posted in Leadership
- Want to Implement Agile? Cut Through the Red Tape First Disruption has become almost routine in today’s marketplace, and this almost constant state of transition is a challenge for many organizations. You must now be able to quickly respond to […] Posted in Leadership
- Why Peter King seeks investigation on Kathryn Bigelow for her upcoming film on the bin Laden raid? House Homeland Security Chairman Peter King (R-N.Y.) is unhappy over reports that the White House and Pentagon is cooperating with filmmaker Kathryn Bigelow for her upcoming film on the […] Posted in Leadership, Rankings
- China Rich List 2015: Top 400 Chinese Billionaires And Billionaire Families With an estimated US$31.3 billion Li Hejun, chairman of Hanergy Group is wealthiest among all 400 chinese billionaires & billionaire families, followed by Dalian Wanda Group chairman […] Posted in Rankings
Dean has worked with businesses, educational entities and municipalities for more than 20 years, helping them identify solutions that make their businesses and operations more secure, efficient and easier to manage. He is responsible for Tools4ever's U.S. operations and has written dozens of articles about identity and access management, security, IT audits, strategy, BYOD, the cloud and managing IT solutions for small businesses to enterprise systems.
Latest posts by Dean Wiech (see all)
- Make Life Easier for Your System Administrators - 08/24/2016
- The Business Case for Access Management - 08/05/2016
- Empower Employees with Productivity through Automated Access and Workflows - 05/24/2016