Maternal mortality, 2015: Why are so many women dying from childbirth?
According to a major study by the World Health Organisation shows, for every 100,000 live births in Burundi in 2015, 7012 women died due to pregnancy and childbirth complications. Sierra Leone came in 2nd on the list with an estimated 1360 deaths per 100,000 live births.
Sub-Saharan Africa has extremely high maternal mortality. This is true when compared with developed countries as well as other developing countries. Many of these deaths are preventable. Why are so many women dying from CHILDBIRTH?
In Iceland and Greece, fewer than 3 women die for every 100,000 live births. In China, the estimate is 27 women for every 100,000 live births. In 2015 more than 170 women died for every 100,000 live births in India, and now developing countries are starting to catch up.
The table below shows list of countries with the highest number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births. The figures, show the Maternal mortality ratio (MMR) – the number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births.
List of countries by maternal mortality ratio (MMR) in 2015- the number of maternal deaths per 100,000 live births:
|Country||Maternal mortality ratio (per 100 000 live births)|
|United Arab Emirates||6|
|The former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia||8|
|United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland||9|
|Republic of Korea||11|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||11|
|United States of America||14|
|Republic of Moldova||23|
|Iran (Islamic Republic of)||25|
|Saint Vincent and the Grenadines||45|
|Trinidad and Tobago||63|
|Syrian Arab Republic||68|
|Democratic People's Republic of Korea||82|
|Venezuela (Bolivarian Republic of)||95|
|Micronesia (Federated States of)||100|
|Sao Tome and Principe||156|
|Lao People's Democratic Republic||197|
|Bolivia (Plurinational State of)||206|
|Papua New Guinea||215|
|United Republic of Tanzania||398|
|Democratic Republic of the Congo||693|
|Central African Republic||882|
You may also be interested in:
- The buzz out of Brussels – IMF, Eurogroup reach $57.8 billion deal on Greek debt A statement after nearly 13 hours of talks, Greece's international lenders (the International Monetary Fund and the ECB) agreed to reduce Greek debt by 44.5 billion euros. The eurozone […] Posted in Rankings
- Still Got a “Punching the Time Clock Mentality”? How to Move from a Time-based to a Performance-based Worker We are living in the 21st Century but the business world is still operating like a factory in 1910. The entire reason we have the 8-hour workday (it used to be longer) is because it is […] Posted in Leadership, Rankings
- The Top 25 Independent Financial Advisor In America 2014 List Peter Mallouk, President of Creative Planning, Inc., an independent wealth advisory firm in City of Leawood, Kansas, has been ranked ranked number 1 among America's top 25 independent […] Posted in Rankings
- Sick Of Seeing Other Advisors Touting Their Books? Then Get Your Own Want to make a financial advisor go out of his mind?Just sit him or her in front of a flat screen and put on a financial news show where the guest is some other financial advisor. It […] Posted in Leadership
- World’s Top 20 Most Business-Friendly Economies For 2016 In a time of economic uncertainty, Singapore, as expected, kept its position as the most business-friendly place in the world, according to a World Bank's 2016 report. That’s […] Posted in Leadership
- Should your company encourage employees to quit? I know what you’re thinking: “Encourage employees to quit? That’s ridiculous! Everyone knows how stressful and expensive it is to deal with high turnover!” Stay with me for a minute. […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.