Methods of communication between recruiters and candidates
UK recruitment industry is at its most competitive level. More candidates than ever are finding employment with the help of recruitment agents. As a result, newer strategies and efforts are being explored to improve the communication between candidates and recruiters. To improve communication, we need to find out; how candidates prefer to be contacted. Luckily a survey recently conducted by Laudale provides us with the answer.
The most striking results from the survey show that the majority of candidates prefer to be contacted through multiple channels. Combinations of the results vary depending on the candidate’s preferences. The preferred method is email contact; with 79.2% of all candidates selecting this as their choice method of communication. Most of the candidates preferred email contact due to its ease of receiving and sending replies. The candidates expressed that emails gave them the control and were the most convenient method of communication. They explained that they could reply to an email in their own time and that emails allowed them to consider the offers before deciding. As recruiters, we must remember that the decision to take a job for a candidate is a big life decision. Candidates preferred taking their time and didn’t want pressure from recruiters.
After email contact, 38.7% of candidates preferred to be contacted by phone. It is worth mentioning that the majority of the 38.7% were also happy to be contacted by email and by phone. The candidates who preferred phone contact and no email contact did so because they preferred the personal approach of a telephone call. Some of the candidates explained they could sell themselves effectively over the phone and establish a relationship with the recruiter. This is perhaps more relevant for the first stages of recruitment. Initially, recruiters need to get a feel of the candidate so they can talk through the candidate’s skills and goals.
The final two other methods of contact discussed were by text message and through LinkedIn. The Laudale survey found that these two methods were preferred by 19.30% and 19.60% of candidates respectively. Only a tiny amount of candidates preferred either LinkedIn or Text contact without any emails or telephone contact. The majority of candidates saw LinkedIn and Text messages as a secondary method of contact. They saw these methods as useful alongside emails or phone contact (depending on their preference) and would enhance their chances of getting a job.
The Laudale survey found little evidence to suggest a difference in results through different areas in the UK. The only significant trend the survey did find involved phone contact in the North East and Northern Ireland. The survey found that 48.44% of the North East would prefer phone contact whereas in Northern Ireland only 27.78% would choose this method as a preference. The survey found a trend in older candidates who didn’t want to be contacted through LinkedIn. Many cited this reason due to the fact they didn’t have an account.
To conclude, each candidate has their own preferences when contacted by recruiters. Although it is clear from the findings that email contact is the preferred method by most candidates, you may find with others that direct phone contact is the most effective. It is important therefore that recruiters try to understand what these preferences are early on in the process, in order to gain trust with the candidate.
You may also be interested in:
- A Hacker for Every Board Room When it comes to cyber security, the biggest problem executives face today is the institutional failure to grasp the way hackers and identity thieves operate.While there seems to be a […] Posted in Growth Leaders
- Nissan Motor readying hybrid Infiniti M (Fuga luxury sedan), green technology for gas engines Japanese manufacturer Nissan Motor Co's gasoline-electric hybrid version of Infiniti M sedan, called the Fuga luxury sedan in Japan, will likely be up to 90% more fuel-efficient than the […] Posted in Leadership
- Top 10 Best Sexiest Perfumes for woman- woman’s Fragrances and Perfumes That Attract Men There are two distinct things about perfume. The bottle and the fragrance. Women can appreciate each, make sure the fragrance is nice and the bottle represents something special to her as […] Posted in Leadership
- Why media are busy ruining Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver lives? To handle his divorce from NBC journalist Maria Shriver, Arnold Schwarzenegger, has hired Jennifer Aniston attorney, Robert Kaufman, who represented her split with ex-husband Brad Pitt. […] Posted in Leadership
- Redpoint Ventures raises $400 mln for start-ups in the Social and mobile and clean technology Redpoint Ventures, which helps entrepreneurs to build innovative businesses announced that it had closed a new $400 million fund to invest in early-stage start-ups in the social and mobile […] Posted in Leadership
- Best Online Payroll Services and Solutions Providers for Business On Line Payroll Services, Inc. is a member of the American Payroll Association with two members of the staff being certified payroll professionals. Simple conversion and start up, Fast, […] Posted in Leadership
Kat’s love for story comes from a life long love affair with film. She studied a Screenwriting masters at Leeds Metropolitan University and is a self confessed cinephile. Outside of work she spends her time watching films, taking photos and sampling cocktails in Manchester’s Northern Quarter.
To complement her Content and Outreach skills, Kat is expanding her knowledge of technical SEO and Social Media management.