25 Most Inspiring And Thought-Provoking Quotes by Steve Jobs
Being tremendously outspoken, the visionary Apple co-founder Steve Jobs seemingly had opinions on nearly everything including leadership, philosophy, creativity, approach to life, love, succeeding in business, communications, and a whole lot more.
Steve Jobs didn’t hesitate to take risks and dreaming big, he was also known for his direct style of speaking and his charisma.
Fact: Steve Jobs, the late Apple co-founder, didn’t become successful overnight.
It took years of hard work, determination, and perseverance to build Apple into the company that it is today.
Jobs died at age 56 on Oct. 5, 2011, after a lengthy battle with pancreatic cancer. The tech mogul left a legacy of innovation and a treasure trove of memorable quotes.
He came, he saw, he conquered…and he left behind some words to live by:, here’s a list of some of his most memorable quotes:
1. “Stay hungry. Stay foolish.”
2. “I want to put a ding in the universe.”
3. “It’s better to be a pirate than to join the Navy.”
4. “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.”
5. “Design is not just what it looks like and feels like. Design is how it works.”
6. “Sometimes life is going to hit you in the head with a brick. Don’t lose faith.”
7. “Quality is much better than quantity. One home run is much better than two doubles.”
8. “Be a yardstick of quality. Some people aren’t used to an environment where excellence is expected.”
9. “My favourite things in life don’t cost any money. It’s really clear that the most precious resource we all have is time.”
10. “I’m as proud of many of the things we haven’t done as the things we have done. Innovation is saying no to a thousand things.”
11. “It’s really hard to design products by focus groups. A lot of times, people don’t know what they want until you show it to them.”
12. “Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. It is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.”
13. You can’t just ask customers what they want and then try to give that to them. By the time you get it built, they’ll want something new.
14. “I think if you do something and it turns out pretty good, then you should go do something else wonderful, not dwell on it for too long.”
15. “Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn’t matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we’ve done something wonderful, that’s what matters to me.”
16. “If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you’ve done and whoever you were and throw them away.”
17. “You can’t connect the dots looking forward; you can only connect them looking backward. So you have to trust that the dots will somehow connect in your future. You have to trust in something — your gut, destiny, life, karma, whatever.”
18. “We don’t get a chance to do that many things, and every one should be really excellent. Because this is our life. Life is brief, and then you die, you know? And we’ve all chosen to do this with our lives. So it better be damn good. It better be worth it.”
19. “Our DNA is as a consumer company — for that individual customer who’s voting thumbs up or thumbs down. That’s who we think about. And we think that our job is to take responsibility for the complete user experience. And if it’s not up to par, it’s our fault, plain and simply.”
20. “No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don’t want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life’s change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new.”
21. “[The] bottom line is, I didn’t return to Apple to make a fortune. I’ve been very lucky in my life and already have one. When I was 25, my net worth was $100 million or so. I decided then that I wasn’t going to let it ruin my life. There’s no way you could ever spend it all, and I don’t view wealth as something that validates my intelligence.”
22. “Your time is limited, don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t be trapped by dogma, which is living the result of other people’s thinking. Don’t let the noise of other opinions drown your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition, they somehow already know what you truly want to become.”
23. “When you’re a carpenter making a beautiful chest of drawers, you’re not going to use a piece of plywood on the back, even though it faces the wall and nobody will see it. You’ll know it’s there, so you’re going to use a beautiful piece of wood on the back. For you to sleep well at night, the aesthetic, the quality, has to be carried all the way through.”
24. “Ultimately, it comes down to taste. It comes down to trying to expose yourself to the best things that humans have done and then try to bring those things into what you’re doing. Picasso had a saying: good artists copy, great artists steal. And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas, and I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world.”
25. “When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: ‘If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.’ It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: ‘If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?’ And whenever the answer has been ‘no’ for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.”
You may also be interested in:
- RANKED: The World’s 10 Best Business Class Airlines, 2016 Qatar Airways has been voted the best business class airline in the world for 2016, according to a survey of millions of travellers world wide, conducted by Skytrax, the leading […] Posted in Rankings
- 25 Important Things That Graduate Admissions Tests Can’t Effectively Measure Well, If you’re applying for graduate study in the US, especially a master’s program, you may be required to submit scores from one or more specialized or "standardized" graduate […] Posted in Education
- What is new in Celebrity Rehab season 5 reality show with Dr. Drew? The celebrities appearing on the 2011 season of "Celebrity Rehab season 5" include Michael Lohan, Amy Fisher, Jeremy Jackson, Bai Ling, Dwight "Doc" Gooden, Sean Young, Jessica "Sugar" […] Posted in Leadership
- The Top 25 Best States For Business in the United States 2014. Who’s No. 1? Utah reclaimed the top spot on the Forbes "Best States For Business In The United States 2014 List" after dropping to 3rd place last year, with North Dakota second and North Carolina […] Posted in Leadership
- What Factors Play Into Getting a Loan for Your Small Business? It takes money to make money – you know this better than anyone. But what if you don’t have enough capital to keep your small business moving forward? Well, you can just go out and get a […] Posted in Perspective
- Chinese Tencent Is Now Worth Almost TWICE As Much As Baidu: Close To Facebook The Chinese Internet giant Tencent, which operates the popular WeChat smartphone messaging app and various other online services in China is now worth almost as much as Facebook […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.