One of the wealthiest men in the world is giving away his entire $32 billion fortune to charity
Saudi Prince Alwaleed bin Talal, one of the world’s wealthiest people, is donating his entire $32 billion fortune to philanthropic causes. Every. Last. Penny. Be awesome like Prince Alwaleed.
According to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, Alwaleed is the world’s 25th richest person with a personal wealth estimated at $28.7 billion. Whereas Forbes Magazine named him as the 34th wealthiest human on the planet.
Alwaleed, the 60-year-old nephew of Saudi Arabia’s royal leader King Salman, will channel his donation to Alwaleed Philanthropies, an organization that has worked to support and initiates philanthropic projects in over 90 countries around the world.
“This donation will be allocated according to a well-devised plan throughout the coming years,” the prince said in a statement. “Philanthropy is a personal responsibility, which I embarked upon more than three decades ago and is an intrinsic part of my Islamic faith.
“With this pledge, I am honouring my life-long commitment to what matters most – helping to build a more peaceful, equitable and sustainable world for generations to come.”
The prince, a Saudi business magnate and investor, noted his decision was inspired by the one, the only, Mr. Bill Gates.
He said he had been inspired by the Gates Foundation, set up by Bill and Melinda Gates in 1997.
The money would be used to “foster cultural understanding”, “empower women”, and “provide vital disaster relief”, among other things, he said.
Even Bill Gates applauded the prince, calling him “an inspiration to all of us working in philanthropy around the world.”
The prince, who does not hold an official government position, is chairman of investment firm Kingdom Holding Company.
Who is Prince Alwaleed bin Talal Al Saud?
– Time magazine, who labeled the Prince as the “Arabian Warren Buffett,” born in Jeddah on 7 March 1955. He is the nephew of King Salman.
– Studied at Menlo College in California and holds a master’s degree in social science with honors from Syracuse University.
– Founder of Kingdom Holding Company, a Riyadh-based publicly traded conglomerate
– Owns a 371-room, 42,700 sq m (460,000 sq ft) palace in Riyadh, a Boeing 747-400 and an A380, and an 85m super yacht
– Considered Westernized and progressive on most issues. Champions women’s rights – most of his staff are women
You may also be interested in:
- Top Online Printing Services at affordable prices Vistaprint offers small businesses everything they need to market their business. They offer high-quality printed marketing materials, promotional products and marketing services such as […] Posted in Leadership
- Female Entrepreneurs Abandon Cottage Industry for Professional Services Creative pursuits are not a popular option for female business owners, with the majority working in the professional services sector, research reveals. Reed Commercial have conducted a […] Posted in Perspective
- 16 Truly Unbelievable Facts About Warren Buffett That You Won’t Believe Are True Here are some interesting and truly unbelievable facts about the chairman and chief executive of Berkshire Hathaway Inc., and one of the richest people in the world, billionaire Warren […] Posted in Leadership
- Global airlines to return to a profit in 2010 except in Europe Global airlines will turn a $2.5 billion profit this year, reversing two years of losses. The profit would be the industry’s first since 2007, Europe is the only region still forecast to […] Posted in Leadership
- What Qualities Would We Look For In A Woman That Can Make Her Irresistible? Contrary to what you think you know about the qualities most men look for in a woman that can make her irresistible. An amazing woman that every men wants - it's fascinating, […] Posted in Rankings
- Will BYOD Revive The Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) Technology? If you've already attempted a Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) implementation project for your company and it didn't go well, worry not. Now "Bring Your Own Device" (BYOD) is breathing […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.