Amancio Ortega is now the second-richest man in the world, surpassing even Warren Buffet
The Spanish billionaire, Amancio Ortega has finally managed to overtake legendary investor Warren Buffett as the second-richest man in the world on a billionaires list prepared by Bloomberg. But despite his impressive net worth, Bill Gates is still No.1.
Amancio Ortega, founder of clothing retailer Zara, has a net worth of $72.8 billion as of August 7, 2015, slightly higher than Warren Buffett’s $67.5 billion fortune. Over the last one year, Amancio Ortega’s net worth rose by 14.3% or $8.7 billion, while Buffett’s fortune fell by 6.3% or $4.4 billion over the same period.
Microsoft’s co-founder Bill Gates still leads the list with a large margin at a net worth of $85.1 billion. Mexico’s richest man, Carlos Slim, is the 4th-richest in the world with a fortune of $64.4 billion, followed by US-based Koch Industries’ CEO, Charles Koch, at $52.3 billion.
Zara’s mysterious founder, Amancio Ortega owns 59% of the Arteixo-based company Inditex SA, the world’s largest clothing retailer.
Amancio Ortega founded fast-fashion giant Zara with his then wife Rosalia in 1975. Today, his retail company Intidex SA (Industria de Diseño Textil, S.A.)— which owns Zara, as well as Massimo Dutti, Bershka, Oysho, Pull and Bear, Stradivarius, Tempe, and Uterqüe, and also a low-cost brand Lefties.
The Spanish retailer operates more than 6,600 stores and had revenues of €18.1 billion in the year ended January 2015. The company is planning to open up 480 more stores in 2015.
Amancio Ortega is the second-richest man in the world, with a net worth estimated at $72.8 billion.
[We all know, Kate Middleton loves Zara.]
You may also be interested in:
- Essential Business Intelligence Skills to Teach Your Employees If you belong to an organization where learning never exhausts the mind and you believe in enhancing your finesse so much so that you gain a distinct career lift, this article is a […] Posted in CEO Insider
- The Top 50 Most Affordable Online Colleges For Degree Programs In The United States, 2015-16 Unsurprisingly, In rankings for the top 50 most affordable online colleges for degree programs in the United States, University of Wyoming ranked number one for the 2015-16 academic year. […] Posted in Leadership
- The Secret Of A Winning Team: 10 Tips Everyone in business knows that the key to a successful business lies in its people. As most people work in teams in one way or another, even in smaller organisations, it’s crucial that […] Posted in CEO Insider
- Firm yes for new secure mobile voting app The old election fraud joke ‘vote early, vote often’ probably prompted a US team to come up with a new satnav app for authenticating and securing votes registered by mobile phone. It’s one […] Posted in Leadership
- Best Belts For Women To Buy Lanvin Leather Corset Belt (EUR 596.68)- A weathered finish details a rich leather belt that's wider in back.Oscar de la Renta Embroidered Sequin Belt (EUR 500.44)- Black and white […] Posted in Leadership
- Who Is The Highest Paid Celebrity Under 30 Of 2014: Men vs Women since its launch in 2007? This year marks a new high for female entertainers, Forbes just released its 2014 highest-earning celebrities Under 30 list and, not such a big surprise, 20 years old Justin Bieber is […] Posted in Leadership
As founder and editorial director of the CEOWORLD magazine, Amarendra Bhushan is an extensively kudized author, journalist, and internationally syndicated columnist. In 2008, he launched The CEOWORLD magazine, a site that quickly became one of the most widely-read, linked to, and frequently-cited media brands on the Internet.