Meet The Top 9 Most Powerful Women In The World In 2014: Why So Few?
When the 2014 Forbes’ 6th annual ranking of “The World’s 72 Most Powerful People” list appeared, Putin Vs. Obama, Narendra Modi, Jack Ma, Satya Nadella, and 30-year-old Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg (youngest person on this list) received a lot of attention.
However, what is interesting is that there were only 9 women have made the cut, and for the first time 2 have landed in our top 10. Why So Few?
So, we took a deep dive into Forbes ranking. And here’s what we found:
German Chancellor Angela Merkel, lands at No. 5, she is the longest serving leader in the European Union and controls more than $3.6 trillion in GDP, Dilma Rousseff, Brazil’s president at No. 31, and South Korea’s first female president Geun-hye Park at No. 46 on the list.
Together, the three female heads of state (Angela Merkel, Dilma Rousseff, and Park Geun-hye) control more than $7 trillion in combined gross domestic product.
One notable omission from the list, Sonia Gandhi, an Italian-born Indian politician and the President of the Indian National Congress party, who was the highest ranked Indian last year at 21.
Also newly out of office, Jill Abramson (No. 68 on last year’s list) former editor of The New York Times, didn’t make the on new list this year.
The Top 9 Most Powerful Women In The World In 2014
1. Angela Merkel, German Chancellor since 2005, she is also Germany’s first female Chancellor.
Overall Ranking: 5 | Age: 60 | Country: Germany
2. Janet Yellen, a leading American economist and Federal Reserve Board chair.
Overall Ranking: 6 | Age: 68 | Country: United States
3. Dilma Rousseff
Overall Ranking: 31 | Age: 66 | Country: Brazil
4. Christine Lagarde
Overall Ranking: 33 | Age: 58 | Country: France
5. Park Geun-hye
Overall Ranking: 46 | Age: 62 | Country: South Korea
6. Ginni Rometty
Overall Ranking: 55 | Age: 56 | Country: United States
7. Mary Barra
Overall Ranking: 62 | Age: 52 | Country: United States
8. Gina Rinehart, Executive Chairman, Hancock Prospecting
Overall Ranking: 66 | Age: 60 | Country: Australia
9. Margaret Chan, Director-General, World Health Organization
Overall Ranking: 67 | Age: 67 | Country: China
1. Stephan Caras Presented Spring/Summer 2015 Luminous Womens Wear Collection
2. 10 Highest-Paid Woman In The Music Industry: Top Earning Female Musicians For 2014
3. An Outstanding Collection Of Greatest Quotes In Movie Histroy Ever, Including Top 10
4. Top 20 Most Recognizable Songs Of All Time
5. The top 28 most reliable automakers in the world: Survey rankings 2014
You may also be interested in:
- Executive’s good intentions Leadership is produced in our minds, conceived using thought, and is a perspective of […] Posted in Leadership Insider, CEO Insider
- Why Kanye West compared himself to Adolf Hitler- The Big Chill Festival? The 34-year-old rapper Kanye West headlined at The Big Chill Festival during which he […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Best business schools in Spain to study for an MBA, 2016 IE Business School has been named the best business school in Spain to study for an MBA […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- How Startups Can Best Benefit Developing Economies Most startups fail within the first five years of establishment. Media outlets and […] Posted in CEO Insider
- Should Research in Motion needs to ditch its BlackBerry handset business to survive? With disappointing quarterly results, dismal outlook for Blackberry sales and word on […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- The 200 Billion Dollar Club: World’s Largest Companies By Market Capitalization, 2016 It is not surprising that the top 3 largest companies by market capitalization, in 2016, […] Posted in CEO Insider
- 15 biggest corporate tax havens in the world, 2016 he Bermuda has been branded as the biggest corporate tax haven in the world, according […] Posted in Rankings
- These Are The 10 German Companies With The Highest-Paid Employees, 2016 Which German companies are offering employees the fattest paychecks? Well, If you are […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- International Business Relationships Take More Than Trial and Error Not everyone has a degree in international business, but you might sometimes feel like […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- The Power of Infographics: One of the Most Effective Marketing Tools Available to You Today Infographics are a lot more than just a way to "gussy up" boring content. Make no […] Posted in Success Insider