Conde Nast Traveler unveiled the latest list of friendliest – and least friendly – cities in the United States. Getting ready for a trip and not sure where to go?
The top spot?
For the second year in a row, Charleston, South Carolina comes in at the America’s friendliest city, rounding out the top 5 are Savannah, Georgia, San Antonio, Texas, Telluride, Colorado, and New Orleans, Louisiana.
Surprisingly, 8 of the 10 friendliest cities in the United States are in the South,
As for least friendly?
Readers also picked the city they find the most unfriendly. Newark, New Jersey has been named America’s least friendly place to be, Oakland, California, was voted second unfriendliest.
Rounding out the top five most unfriendly cities are Hartford, Connecticut; Atlantic City, New Jersey, and New Haven, Connecticut.
The results are in from Conde Nast’s annual Readers’ Choice Survey and are based on the presence (or absence) of tourist attractions and whether guests felt welcome or snubbed during their travels.
Take a look at the top ten friendliest and least friendly cities in the United States. Do you agree with these picks?
The 10 friendliest cities in the U.S.
10. Asheville, North Carolina (score: 79) – Survey respondents say that Asheville has a “small-town feel” and is filled with friendly and artistic people.
9. Nashville, Tennessee (score: 79.6) – This musical city was regarded as highly entertaining and full of “colorful characters.”
8. Key West, Florida (score: 79.6) – It’s “impossible to be stressed out” in this “pleasant” city.
7. Jackson Hole, Wyoming (score: 80) – This casual yet upscale city is commonly referred to as “eclectic” and “funky” with plenty to do outdoors.
6. Fort Worth, Texas (score: 80.2) – The people here are “welcoming,” “warm,” and have “beautiful manners.”
5. New Orleans (score: 80.4) – City pride abounds in New Orleans, and there’s a ton of great food to boot.
4. Telluride, Colorado (score: 81.3) – This “laid-back” community isn’t crowded or snobby, and the people are “down-to-earth.”
3. San Antonio (score: 82.2) – The “friendliness of the folks who live here” makes San Antonio a must-visit city.
2. Savannah, Georgia (score: 82.8) – This charming southern city, the oldest in Georgia, makes people feel like as if “stepped back in time.”
1. Charleston, South Carolina (score: 84.3) – This “quaint” city is bursting with “southern hospitality.”
The 10 least friendly cities in the U.S.
10. Miami (score: 53.4) – This tourist trap of a city has great culture and nightlife but is “overpriced” and “too trendy.”
9. Wilmington, Delaware (score: 52.8) – Not many people travel here for pleasure, according to the survey. The city has “lots of cows.”
8. The Hamptons, New York (score: 50.6) – This well-to-do summer vacation spot isn’t as bad in the winter, but it can be “challenging” during peak season.
7. Los Angeles (score: 48.9) – Driving in this city is a nightmare, and people have attitudes, but the weather is nice.
6. Detroit (score: 48) – The city is improving, but it has also been called “the armpit of the world” with its crumbling buildings.
5. New Haven, Connecticut (score: 47.2) – This city is worth a visit in the summer, when the snobby Yale students have left.
4. Atlantic City, New Jersey (score: 46.3) – This city isn’t what it used to be, and the shopping, dining, and nightlife isn’t “spectacular.”
3. Hartford, Connecticut (score: 45.5) – It’s good for a business trip, but entertainment is lacking.
2. Oakland, California (score: 40.6) – Be careful where you go in this “rough-around-the-edges” city.
1. Newark, New Jersey (score: 33.5) – This “airport city” has been described as “crowded and overpriced.”
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- Reveled: Here Are The 5 Worst Industries To Work For In 2018 - July 20, 2018
- These Are The 20 Worst U.S. Cities To Drive In For 2018, Detroit, San Francisco, New York, Chicago and Los Angeles In Top 10 - July 19, 2018
- Revealed: The World’s 50 Best Airlines For 2018: Singapore And Qatar Tops - July 18, 2018