A new survey by the Pew Research has revealed that at least 44 percent of employed moms say part-time work would be their ideal situation. A majority of Working Mothers, report they would rather not work full-time.
This raises the question: Why?
Moms with full-time jobs opting out of their chosen careers is an issue that experts worry.
Here are some steps CEOs, business owners and top managers can take to keep working mothers at work.
1. Flexible work options help new moms come back to the workforce in a more balanced, less stressful way after maternity leave. One of the most important things employer can do is to offer new moms greater flexibility about when, where and how they work.
2. Cultural shifts – Women spend approximately 30% more time on childcare and household tasks, compared to their husbands and a UCLA study reported employers reactive negatively to women who appear dedicated to household activities.
Mothers who work full time need flexibility to take care of everything, i think companies should now consider housework as a corporate perk, including offering flexible work arrangements.
Cynthia Ingols, an associate Professor of Practice, Faculty Affiliate, Center for Gender in Organizations at the Simmons School of Management, suggests companies realize that getting and keeping talented women requires recognition that they remain the primary family caregivers, a fact that makes balancing work and home life a complex challenge.
“Certainly it’s my impression that the notion of offering flexibility to accommodate women and the complexities of their lives is more widespread today than it was 5 or 10 years ago,” says Cynthia, who is part of a team at Simmons conducting research on women in the workforce.
3. Job security heightens motivation and energy- When job security is high, particularly for moms who are sensitive to the security of their jobs, are not distracted by worry or exhausted by strain.
Instead, they are able to engage more fully in responsibilities both inside and outside the workplace. When working mothers believe that their tenure with an organization is not at risk, they will have more energy.
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- These Are The 20 Highest-Paid Political Leaders In The World In 2018 - 04/24/2018
- Top 20 best summer vacation destinations in the United States, 2018 - 04/23/2018
- These Are The 20 Most Overrated Books of All Time, And Yes, List Include Bible, Ernest Hemingway, Paulo Coelho, And Mark Twain - 04/23/2018