Particularly in today’s competitive job market where employers are sifting through hundreds of cover letters and resumes. Therefore, your cover letter has to be excellent to make a good impression for guaranteed job-hunting success. What tips do you have for writing a job-winning cover letter?
A a “wow”-worthy cover letter is essential to demonstrates the reasons you are the best person for the job, prove your qualifications, and how you will benefit the company. I believe every resume or CV (short for curriculum vitae) must be accompanied by a cover letter whether or not it’s required for the job application.
There are a few techniques you can try to make your cover letter stand out stands out to an employer.
1. A compelling opening sentence or first line – Unfortunately, way too many cover letter start with “I am pleased to submit my application for the sales account manager job posted on your website,” “In response to your job advertisement, I’m forwarding my resume for your review and consideration,” but they don’t have to be. It’s time for a makeover.
Even “I’m excited to apply for your senior analyst in transaction advisory services position” is about 500 times better because you sound like a human being.
2. Additionally, your cover letter should be no more than one page in length. – Hiring manager reading it will get bored.
3. Employers want to hire passionate employees, therefore illustrate your passions, dreams, and goals.
4. Your cover letter should talk about your skills and accomplishments
5. Writing a cover letter is just like telling a story, be personal and relatable.
6. The closing paragraph – You want the reader to have the impression you are truly passionate about the position and working for their company.
7. Remember you want to make it clear in your cover letter how the employer will benefit from your experience and qualifications.
8. Although it may seem cliché to use a quote in your cover letter, use a quote describing your work ethic.
9. Above all, be honest and transparent.
Cover letters are a hiring manager’s first impression of the job seeker – a better cover letter can mean better results – more interviews and hopefully your dream job. Now, that wasn’t so hard, was it?
What tips would you add to ensure a cover letter stands out to an employer?
Latest posts by Dr. Amarendra Bhushan Dhiraj
- Apple, Google, Microsoft, Facebook, And Amazon Are The Most Valuable Brands In The World, 2018 (Top 20) - May 25, 2018
- These 50 Private Companies Are Transforming The Economy And Changing The Industry, 2018 - May 23, 2018
- Here Are The Top 20 American Universities For Producing Successful Start-Up CEOs: 2018 Ranking - May 23, 2018