5 PR and Communications Tips for Startup CEOs Going Through Acquisitions
Having your startup acquired can be a fortunate and exciting part of any entrepreneur’s life. If you’re the CEO, there are some things you need to be aware of when it comes to PR and communications.
1. Be Transparent With The Company Acquiring Your Startup:
Once the deal is agreed on, have a game plan for exactly what you will communicate and when you will communicate it. Make sure the appropriate members of your startup are involved or at least knowledgeable about the plan. The last thing you want to do is reveal something that’s not yet supposed to be known.
2. Don’t Stop Current Communications
Nothing says, “we’re up to something secret,” like stopping social, blog flow, newsletters, and PR efforts. If your startup has had enough attention to attract an acquisition offer, you want to be sure you keep up appearances.
3. Have a Standby Answer for Tough Questions
Some reporters may figure out what’s going on. Make sure your startup representatives have a standby answer when asked about exit strategies, and the company that’s acquiring your startup is okay with this answer.
4. Prepare Your Messaging
Go the extra mile and be proactive about preparing key messaging for your startup’s “about us” page, materials, social, and external communications. You want your customers to feel that the brand they’ve come to know and love will still be an important part of their lives, even after the acquisition.
5. Have a Personal Say In The Acquisition Announcement
Unless you’re washing your hands and walking away at the moment of acquisition (which is highly unlikely), make sure you have a hand in creating the messaging that will communicate your startup’s acquisition. Does it reflect your startup’s brand, your character, the trajectory of your personal career and vision? Remember, what happens during and after an acquisition announcement can have a significant impact on the companies you grow in the future. Make sure you play an active role in creating your narrative.
By, Jennifer L. Jacobson is the founder of Jacobson Communication and a Silicon Valley leader known for helping great companies, organizations, and ideas get the attention they deserve. She is also a social media expert and author, known for her book, 42 Rules of Social Media for Small Business. Tweet Jennifer @jcommunication image @dell.
You may also be interested in:
- Just How Powerful: The Ferrari 458 Speciale A? And thus is born the 458 Speciale A, cut off the, crank up the power, and jack-up the […] Posted in Rankings
- Top 81 European Business School: LBS tops Europe’s Best Business School Rankings 2014 London Business School (LBS) has been named Europe's top business school in the "2014 FT […] Posted in Rankings
- Candy Crush valuation: a warning of a coming tech crash? IMD Professor Reacts: Mike Wade on Activision’s purchase of Candy Crush for $5.9 […] Posted in CEO Insider
- 2 New York City-Based Restaurants Land On Yelp Top 100 List Of America’s Most Popular Places To Eat For 2015 And it’s no surprise, two New York City-based restaurants have landed on Yelp's top 100 […] Posted in Rankings, CEO Insider
- Is Jennifer Lopez and Ojani Noa honeymoon tape- porn studios bidding war? Leading porn studios, YouPorn.com, Red Light District and PornHub.com all on war over […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Retail Employee Engagement: Two Innovative Solutions to Disrupt a Challenging Industry If you’ve ever been a part of the retail employee engagement conversation, you know that […] Posted in Education Insider
- India Iran Oil dispute- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) issued tender India's Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Ltd (MRPL) issued on Wednesday a second […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Should You Find a Technical Co-Founder or Hire an Early Developer Employee? It seems like every young person nowadays has an idea for that app that’s going to make […] Posted in Success Insider
- 5 Female Celebrities, Who Use Their Fame To Advocate For Women’s Causes There are actually many incredible female celebrities who shine their attention on doing […] Posted in Rankings
- Most beautiful, Sexiest and Hottest Chinese Women- China Today i showcase you Most beautiful, Sexiest and Hottest Chinese Women- China in our […] Posted in Leadership Insider
Latest posts by Featured columnists (see all)
- Tackling Boardroom Diversity From The Southern Ocean: Volvo Ocean Race - 01/04/2017
- Credit Score And Its Importance: The Whys and Hows - 12/19/2016
- A Hacker for Every Board Room - 12/07/2016