How Facebook Connect glitch took down prominent websites?
Let’s take a moment and digest this… Visitors to some of the major news websites such as MSNBC.com, CNN, The Washington Post, BuzzFeed, News.com.au, the Gawker network (including Gizmodo), Yelp and New York Magazine were instantly transferred to a Facebook error page upon loading the intended site.
Internet users, who were logged into their Facebook accounts with Facebook Connect, the single sign-on tool Facebook uses to allow its accounts to serve as logins to other online services, when attempted to visit some of the Web’s biggest sites —- redirected away from their intended destination to an error message on Facebook.
According to Alex Wilhelm, the bug was “dragging people from around the Internet, from news sites, to Hulu, even from Facebook’s own status page, to a page that simply states “An error occurred. Please try again later.”
“For a short period of time, there was a bug that redirected people from third party sites integrated with Facebook to Facebook.com. The issue was quickly resolved,” the social networking website Facebook said.
It appears to suggest that the error lies in Facebook Connect, so what is Facebook Connect ?
Facebook Connect is a set of application programming interfaces (APIs) from Facebook that allow members to log onto third-party websites and apps using Facebook accounts, and share information with their friends on the social network.
But as The Next Web rightly points out, Facebook did not apologise for taking away millions of pageviews from its partners. Also, it did not say how it intends to never have this happen again.
Facebook Error Redirect Video
You may also be interested in:
- Top Priorities for a CIO to Meet Digital Demands in B2B Commerce The role of the CIO in today’s digital age has changed dramatically. When the job title was first created, its main objectives were to keep all systems up and running, to keep insider […] Posted in Education
- The Death of Vacations: The Top 5 Reasons People Don’t Take Vacations Vacations are an endangered species, at least for the majority in the business world. And they are borderline extinct for sole proprietors and small business owners. Here are the Top 5 […] Posted in Rankings
- Here are the 10 biggest potential threats to the global economy in 2016 Failure to deal with climate change and mass forced migration are the two biggest threats to the world right now, according to an annual survey of economists and business leaders by the […] Posted in Leadership
- 10 Powerful Businesswomen Reshaping Tech Companies On The Fortune 500 From Sheryl Sandberg to Marissa Mayer, these 10 Powerful Business women reshaping huge tech companies (Fortune 500) to meet the industry's new challenges and working hard to transform […] Posted in Leadership
- Microsoft Online Ad Exec Scott Howe Leaves Company, replaced by Rik van der Kooi at APS Group Scott Howe, the top executive in charge of Microsoft’s [[MSFT]] Advertiser & Publisher Solutions group, is resigning. Scott Howe is replaced by Rik van der Kooi, CFO of Microsoft's […] Posted in Leadership
- Business finance: If you don’t plan to succeed, you plan to fail Obtaining business finance isn’t easy in today’s economic climate. But it’s a whole lot harder if you don’t do the right preparations beforehand to make your business appear a good risk. […] Posted in Rankings