Groupon in talks to partner with Chinese internet major Tencent Holdings
US group buying company, Groupon is in talks with Chinese internet major Tencent Holdings Ltd. for a partnership, Terms of the deal weren’t clear, but it was likely to involve some sort of co-branded joint venture. Tencent is the dominant social network in China, thanks to its instant messaging platform QQ, which it monetizes with virtual goods like avatars. Both companies are confident the JV will lead in the industry by May this year.
The information was apparently leaked by a German Groupon employee during the course of interviewing a job applicant. The employee said that his China-located company was a joint venture between Groupon and the Shenzhen-based internet company Tencent in which both companies held a 50% stake. He was also reported to have said that the progress in China will be extremely rapid and that the new site could launch within the next two weeks, with the goal of becoming China’s top group-buying website by May.
The new partnership will benefit both parties and Groupon will be able to take advantage of Tencent’s large customer base and sales channels.
No further details on the new company’s business strategy were revealed. However, industry experts suggest the two parties should form the new website into an integrator to all others existent in the field, so that their services are also made available on the two parties’ platfor
You may also be interested in:
- Frequent Flyers Predict Retailers Future Not only are customers now empowered to compare prices, products and brand reputations […] Posted in Rankings
- CNN Christiane Amanpour leaving the cable news network to host ABC News This Week. Christiane Amanpour, CNN's chief international correspondent, is leaving the cable […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Is Big Data As A Service (BDaaS) For The Enterprise: A Real Badass Idea Or What? As the sheer volume of unstructured data generated on a regular basis continues to grow […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Russian Quintura search engine CEO Yakov Sadchikov says Google is breaching its patent Russian Quintura search CEO Yakov Sadchikov says Google [[GOOG]] and other search […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Queens, New York At No. 1 On Must-See U.S. Destinations For 2015 List Leading travel guide publisher, Lonely Planet crowned "Queens, New York," one of the […] Posted in Rankings
- Facebook VS ConnectU- Divya Narendra, Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss A settlement Facebook Inc. agreed with Tyler and Cameron Winklevoss for a package of […] Posted in Rankings
- A Brilliant Automated Location Diary iOS App: Rove By ZeTrip Rove is a brilliant iOS app that records your journeys -- without being overly […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- 5 Things to Consider When Buying Clients Holiday Gifts December is the perfect opportunity to show customers how appreciated they are and how […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- The Myth Of The Rock-Star Leader In 2011, amid much fanfare, JCPenney appointed Ron Johnson as its new CEO. Hailing from […] Posted in Leadership Insider
- Are there any lessons we should take from The Wolf of Wall Street? Ironically, beneath all the debauchery there are a number of lessons investors should […] Posted in Leadership Insider